Notices

What's a normal alcohol withdrawl symptom like ?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Stay Gold"

What's a normal alcohol withdrawl symptom like ?

On day 4 of not drinking. I just had the worst case of headache. I felt like my head was about to explode. It was as if I had a brain freeze that didn't stop. I don't usually get headaches. If I do it's a very mild migraine always on one side of my head, always goes away on its own or after taking exerdrin for migraines headache medicine My headache was so painful I cried and vomited.

Or is my headache due to a combination of withdrawals. I just quit smoking ciggerettes a few days before I quit drinking. I smoked 5 days a week and 5 cigs per day) and I also quit drinking coffee. My last cup of coffee was 3 days ago. I usu drink coffee on the days I work ( mon- fri. )

What I have experienced is that normal withdrawal symptom after quitting drinking?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Stay Gold"

I forgot to mention. Last year, when I quit drinking. I quit for 3-4 months. I don't remember having this kind of a headache.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

none of us are Drs Charchar - this headache might be withdrawal related, or something else. There's just no way for us to tell for sure over the net.

If you're concerned, why not see a Dr yourself?

D
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, you hit the trifecta, the big three. Congratulations on your 4 days. Look after yourself. Your body is going through a big adjustment.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi quitting coffee usually gives headaches it's normal also detoxification of the body can do this
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If the headaches are so bad that you're brought to tears and vomiting - then you really should get them checked out.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charchar75 View Post

I smoked 5 days a week and 5 cigs per day) and I also quit drinking coffee.
smoking 5 cigarettes a day is next to nothing
so my doctor claims anyway (I think that he may be a smoker)

many times in my past when I cold turkey from the coffee
I get some terrible headaches
caffeine is one heck of a strong drug

Mountainman
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I am a caffeine fiend, and if I go without a decent cuppa Joe I get a raging sore head. Dunno if that helps any
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I am a caffeine fiend, and if I go without a decent cuppa Joe I get a raging sore head. Dunno if that helps any
I'm with you toots!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In terms of alcohol withdrawal, it doesn't matter what you experienced in the past, it gets worse over time, even for the same amount of alcohol consumption. Please google "alcohol withdrawal kindling effect" for details.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would say caffeine.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charchar75 View Post
I forgot to mention. Last year, when I quit drinking. I quit for 3-4 months. I don't remember having this kind of a headache.
its more than likely from lack of caffeine. How much were you drinking if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can't imagine the stress of quitting all 3 of those addictions at once...Is it wise to do it all together? Not judging just wondering.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My headaches were from dehydration so drinking tons of water (like a gallon per day) helped me. Read up on the kindling effect as well
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
"Stay Gold"

First, Thank you everyone so much for the feedback! I was searching for the effects of the liver and symptoms/warning signs the liver is starting to suffer. That's how I discovered SR. I'm so glad I did! . I did a lot of reading and searching here. Everyone here is just amazing! I feel I'm in the right place and feel so much more confident about my recovery.

Again, I appreciate the comments. I never thought to search kindled recovery. I will do that. And as for my headache it was gone in the morning. I think it was the caffeine and everything on top that. I read somewhere that coffee has triggering effects on alcohol. I replaced it with lemon water with stevia. I think quitting everything all at once may do more harm so I'm drinking coffee again. I never had a problem with coffee. Actually, I think coffee has manny health benefits. And for smoking cigarettes, I started last year when quit drinking to ease my cravings. Then relapsed and I was smoking and drinking. No good. I had enough of both. I want to give my liver a break.

To answer, "how much I drank?" I drank at least a bottle of red wine sometimes aliitle more everyday for the last several years. Before the switch to wine it bought a gallon jug of vodka. I drank straight from the bottle. Wine was easier to keep track.