Notices

What/Who caused you become an alcoholic?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What/Who caused you become an alcoholic?

*I have not drunk for 5 days. I am attempting to quit for the 1000th time.

In my case, it was my mother. If I tried to tell her that over the last 20 years that I started failing and enjoyed failing to spite her then she would protest that she only ever loved me as much as she could and did everything for me and that she was an orphan and had nobody who loved her and well.....thats my point to her.

You see, she didnt know how to love. She wasnt loving me, she was possessing me, owning me. And this meant that anytime I tried to tell her my feelings and needs it literally did not register in her head. She always did what she thought I needed, or what she thought was being a good mother.

I have one perfect example, but it is one of 1000s of examples and drove me to total despair and the loss of the will to succeed.
I started playing Bassoon when I was in Year 7. I passed my Bassoon Grade 1 exam and then she put the certificate in a frame and on the wall. Ok, that seems normal. But the next year when I got Grade 2 she put that as well in a frame and put it on the wall next to my Grade 1 framed certificate (Same size certificates, new frame).
Then after Grade 3, and I was starting to become aware of things being not what is normal I asked her to take down the old certificates since if I have Grade 3 then obviously I am better than 1 and 2.
She refused.
So the next year I jumped Grade 4, didn't do it, and went straight to Grade 5
(I realise now it was to spite her, I thought then that she would click that there is no Grade 4, so shouldnt she be ashamed that I did not do Grade 4?)
She went and put up Grade 5 next to 1,2 and 3.
As I got older, I got violent about it several times because she had started building a shrine in a room in the house where I had to pass through there and look at it all everyday, and my friends would all see this too.
She had put up about 300 photos of me across the house.
Also, all my "successes" were really nothing much than normal average progression, I really wasnt "special".
After Grade 5 I quit Bassoon, it was making me miserable because of her. Everytime we met new people together she would never fail to mention that I played bassoon, and all the other things I did.
Even ten years after I never touched a bassoon she would always mention it.

On the other side of it, I also would feel terribly guily for hating her. I had no father, no brothers and sisters, no family, just my orphan mother and me and my step-father who was not allowed to defend me to her.

When I got to Uni (I was naturally intelligent could pass almost any exam 100% if I wanted to) she then owned my University life, told everyone I was at Uni, and it was always in a show-off way, as though my successes were her successes.

But going back to the Bassoon and the framed Grades - Notice that almost anyone in the world would agree with me that it looked stupid to make new frames for the next Grades rather than swap the old one for the new one?
And notice she didnt care about how I felt about it? I didnt exist. ME, myself, and I did not exist.

Due to the guilt of hating her, of being embarassed by her, I was always blaming myself and thinking it must be that I am immature, that its normal for mothers to be like this, and that I need to grow up.

I carried these feelings always. I could not enjoy anything without fearing how she would boast about it. I went on a school camp and won the top award and that followed with her framing a dozen photos of the event of me.
The more success I had, the exponentially worse her boasting and picture frames got.
But I was never proud of any of these. The real pride would come in finishing a PhD? Probably not. My real pride would come in my own place, having found myself and knowing that what I built had both done alot of good for society and also made me alot of guilt-free personal wealth and freedom.

Well, one day when I was about 15-16 I started to discover that this constant sadness and guilt and despair (the irrational nature of her being non-negotiable even to the point of the above perfect example of the Bassoon), well I discovered the only thing that had ever taken away that ache - BEER.

And from then on, from 16 began the continued increase in beer consumption. At that time because if UNi it was binge drinking, then later, about 24 when I had finally finished ONE of my degrees, I dropped out of everything, stopped pursuing any success in life and bought a Kombi van, went on social security and became a full-time alcoholic, and kind of wanting to die because she had made me hate success.

I know how and why I became an alcoholic.

My story gets worse but I am still alive. Realising that living in Australia I could never get away from her, that she would always chase me around the country to come and visit, and that I would always be calling her for money because I had become dysfunctional from all of it, socially dysfunctional because of all the social interactions of my life my mother had been smothering me in public everywhere so I never learnt the foundations of normality, I one day went to Brasil 7 years ago and never came back. Realising that she would find a way to get me back, and needing her money to survive, I realised when I was on drunk binges and full of crazy courage, that if I sent terrorist threats to the Australian government based on political motivations then they wouldn't be able to Extradite me but they would have to wait to pounce on me if I ever returned to the country.
I told my mother all that I had done so that she would understand I could never come back. Her being terrified of Brasil and me in it, she kept sending me money.

And you know what else, life and the years move very quickly when you are an alcoholic and suddenly you wake up one morning and realise that you are 38 and have been drunk for the last 20 years and achieved relatively nothing, cause you were mostly drunk, and when you are drunk you can achieve almost nothing.

I am not depressed about it, and I dont crave for beer. Its just that with the neural pathways I developed around it if I have one beer I will have 100. I cant stop. If offers me ONE beer and I knew there were no more beers I would decline. I dont like ONE beer.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing more of your story Green Bottles.

I don't see the cause in the same way you do tho.

Noone made me an alcoholic and it was no one thing either...

it was my inability to deal with certain relationships, emotions and upsets that led me to use drinking as a solution.

Somewhere along the line I crossed from self medicater to alcoholic.

My parents weren't perfect - they had to deal with a disabled son in the days when there was little support and no training.

They made mistakes - some really disastrous ones - but I can't agree it's their fault I became an alcoholic and addict, and it's not anyone else's fault either - it's mine.

D
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure Dee, but you know that the way the big Alcohol mafia industry has infiltrated all our western culture is that beer is marketed and sold as a medication for lifes stresses.

is how I became an alcoholic. I think people got there different ways but in the time back then with the situation and environment I was in I was not seeing or finding any other escape. I was in a rigid strict private school and that was miserable and unsoothing, cruel and heartless trying to beat us all into middle-management pscyhopaths and the culture then was that we all broke away from the torments of our lives by getting smashed! And that is the culture sold.
If lived in a society without that focus then maybe society would have so many other ways more accessable to relax.

Put it another way, isnt it like 30% of Americans are alcoholics? I am sure its not genetic. Its something that develops. Some genetically more vulnerable to it, but others get there more from some kind of miserable DESPAIRING seemingly unescapable situation.
In your case there was no way to make a sibling non-********.

Or put it this way - As long as we have a society that is promoting alcohol culturally in the way it is promoted AND established, there is ALWAYS going to be 30% of Americans alcoholics.
All of us here are making a choice finally to get out of it. It is OUR choice in the end. I think that is where I was talking myself to above. I cant change my mother, and now there is no point in trying to change her because clearly with the bassoon example a person like that is never going to change. Even if she changed now its too late. The past is done.
I can look to the future now. I can forgive myself. I can forgive her (not when she continuously is doing this abuse it still upsets me and opens the old wounds, never they get a chance to heal).
Just hey, I tried drink as a solution for last 20 years - Maybe I am like my mother? Keep making the same mistake over and over, trying to be like her and abuse myself on her behalf.

In 99% of cases, if a child does not have a stable family upbringing there is going to be broken pieces not matter how well he/she thinks they are hiding it with their mask to society, they are bluffing it our and hiding it. Some hide it with success like Narcissistic Personality Disorder (but they hurt alot of people), others just end up hurting themselves.

I am still young at 38. I can still have a second-life as though I never lost the first one. Guys in their 40s and 50s doing amazing things as though they still had the spirit of 20 year olds. I can do it!

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No one 'caused' me to become an alcoholic. No one person or thing. I chose to start drinking and it became out of control. But I don't blame anyone but myself.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I became an alcoholic because every day I put bottle to my lips and swallowed.

I became powerless over my addiction, but there's no way that now that I'm sober, I would give anyone else the power to make me anything.

I choose daily whether or not to take another drink. Everything else is just excuses.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The best science says 9-11% of us are alcoholics.

There are millions of people who had terrible parenting or were raised in terrible conditions that that never became alcoholics. I think this has very little to do with it.

I think you need some professional therapy to deal with these issues. I am wishing you luck with that.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

doesn't matter how I became an alcoholic. I did.
what I had to do to stop is take accountability for how I got there and responsibility for getting away from who I was. that meant no more blaming. there was not one person,place or thing that forced a drink down my throat.

theres many out there proving that 99% things is only a statistic. many have had terrible childhoods and never touched a drop and are living great lives. many( like myself) had very good,loving childhoods and are now in recovery.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know I drank for many years blaming everyone and everything but myself...if I was made an alcoholic, then it wasn't my fault...

and so I continued to drink...

It's a persuasive argument to a drinker....you're not to blame, you can drink in anger, resentment, rebellion, fatalism or self pity....

and there's nothing you can do about it because others made you this way.

I'm not being nasty, I'm genuinely asking...do you think there might be a little of that in your approach here GB?
something thats holding you back from change?

I think there might be?

D
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Alcoholism caused me to be an alcoholic. I don't blame anyone or anything.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, lets call it 9-11% of people are alcoholics in the west then. Ok.

My point is that with Budweiser commercials on the Superbowl, with the whole culture of drinking poison, that there will continue to be 9-11% of people who are alcoholics and it is not genetic but cultural.

I always chose to drink. Stopping has the shakes down for me always for 3-5 days. I never felt a prisoner to it but I am sure I would come to know that one as well if I dont stop it now.
Last 7 years have AVERAGED about 12 cans of Beer per day (That means some days I drink 0 like the last 5 days and other days I drink 30 per day for 5 days in a row)

And I dont feel a prisoner to it by not being able to drink a few at a nice BBQ. TO be honest places where I feel compelled to drink is cause I am BORED.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know I drank for many years blaming everyone and everything but myself...if I was made an alcoholic, then it wasn't my fault...

and so I continued to drink...

It's a persuasive argument to a drinker....you're not to blame, you can drink in anger, resentment, rebellion, fatalism or self pity....

and there's nothing you can do about it because others made you this way.

I'm not being nasty, I'm genuinely asking...do you think there might be a little of that in your approach here GB?
something thats holding you back from change?

I think there might be?

D
Yeh she is. I had not felt like a drink for 5 days and then she called me and then after 15 minutes of her crap I was about to hang up the phone and go get 20 beers.
INstead, I hung up the phone and just accepted the pain inside about my life with her had been, the memories all flashing back, all of them, then later I got on here needing to vent it. Writing it out helped vent it. Better than killing myself slowly with MORE BEER.
That is why I wrote the post, because I was wondering if anyone new the cause.
I know what caused it.
I explained above, she caused me to AVOID SUCCESS. Consider how that destroys a man, without SUCCESS to chase all his life what is he to do?
If you see some girl you like, and you want to know her, be with her, then sorry buddy but that is competition and to get her you are going to need to WIN her, and that would be a SUCCESS. So every girl Iiked I ran from. I ended up living in the outskirts for 2 years, avoiding people generally, no competition, none of it.

Quiting drink is easy unless you have serious physical complications. But emotionally quiting is easy. The hard part is NOT STARTING again!

I didn't enjoy success anymore. I want it now that is why I am quitting. I want to live and I want to succeed my present goals, my present projects.
But for last 20 years I was actively running from it, like suicide. Suicide is running from success if one reailses that being alive is the first and greatest success - You beat 1 million other sperm already in the biggest race of your entire life you had the moment before you were even conceived, the race towards the light, the light of life.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If other people are the direct cause of our drinking, then we are constantly at risk and will inevitably drink again as soon as someone hurts or angers us. There would be no hope for recovery.

Or?

I don't believe that is the scenario, despite it being a very attractive idea. My childhood was chaotic, I was abused and neglected. I was damaged goods when I started out in the world at 16. Sure, my childhood screwed me up totally.

But, once I left that home and my life became my responsibility, I had the responsibility to fix what was wrong with me and make the emotional changes I needed to make. That's true of all of us.

Green bottles, your theory that others make you drink doesn't really work when you consider all the other children of destructive environments who chose not to drink over it.

What about: my childhood caused me TO CHOOSE to drink?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Gb, I hear from your post you are looking for your reasoning for your alcoholism and that's fair enough.
For me, the best time to sort out the big feelings/emotions/memories is when you have accumulated a little sobriety, while it is daunting, you will be surprised how a lot of it just washes away as you fill your life with more fulfilling thoughts.

I agree with you that there are times in our lives when we are driven to take stock of our lives and again that can be daunting. A little at a time is best.

Your Mum, a stifling private school education and all the issues you have relating to the first third of your life can and will for the best part get resolved as you sober up and stay sober.

There is a train of thought that addiction ******* our personal growth and emotional maturity.
There is real power in accepting responsibility. Your sobriety will be strengthened by it and your life will be richer for it. Congratulations on your 5 days.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I think I was just too sensitive to everything that happens in life, and discovered that warm feeling of alcohol, that appears to take the pains and fears away at a very early age. Took me a long time to figure that it changes nothing. Congratulations on 5 days sober xxxx
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
If other people are the direct cause of our drinking, then we are constantly at risk
This. If it's because of someone or something else, I'm screwed. If it's my issue, I have a chance of working on it. When I play the victim, I get what I deserve. When I work on myself....who knows? Seems to just slowly keep getting better.

Keep coming back here, Good Luck!!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

I am an Alcoholic,nobody or anything was the cause of it.

I am responsible for my own actions,I chose to drink.

You will drink again if you continue to blame someone else for your actions.

Congratulations on 5 days sober.Have you thought of getting some counselling for your issues?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know it's quite a cliche thing to say, especially in the AA rooms, but I do believe I had an alcoholic personality well before I'd taken my first drink. I'd always had an all or nothing personality and unfortunately that spilled over in to drinking after I had my first tase of liquor at 15. It was entirely my own wacky cognitive functions and neurological quirks that drove me in to alcoholism, not a single event or individual.

Thanks for sharing your story and well done on five days!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What caused me to become an alcoholic?

the people that coined the term alcoholic..otherwise i would just be a heavy drinker and things would be simpler
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Honestly I don't really believe in the term alcoholic. I believe we are addicts and those that self identify with alcoholism are addicted to alcohol. What I have learned is that my addictive behavior and personality goes well beyond just a drink or drug of choice in terms of substance abuse.

I believe my parents and my environment played a big role in how I developed but that is not to say they made me an addict. I liken this to blaming someone for not being born a Royal. Its the cards we are dealt and now its up to the individual to play them out as best we can.

I have wealth but see no difference between myself and a homeless person shooting up. The only difference between us is progression of our same disease and the knowledge that I have to setup a program to remain abstinent. Anything less will lead us both to the same dire outcome.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenBottles View Post
Ok, lets call it 9-11% of people are alcoholics in the west then. Ok.

My point is that with Budweiser commercials on the Superbowl, with the whole culture of drinking.
In a perfect world these ads would put a disclaimer "9-11% of people are alcoholics if you are one you shouldn't drink our product." it would be like the pharmaceutical ads, side effects may include vomiting, loss of job, loss of life. Alcohol is a drug, it should have disclaimers.

This doesn't mean we are not responsible for putting the bottle to our lips. It's still our responsibility to take control of our lives.