Notices

For Those Who Might Have a Lapse in Judgment

Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For Those Who Might Have a Lapse in Judgment

So I've been posting on here regarding my struggles with sobriety like everyone else. So here's something to think about before you decide you can "drink in moderation" or even be at alcohol events.

I won't tell you not to pick up, I just want to share my experience from last Thursday.

I was at an after work function (which I thought was alcohol free since I saw nothing indicating otherwise on the online menu), and I show up to some coworkers having some beers. Before I even gave myself time to calm the AV, I had downed a beer. This was my key mistake. I realized that I was waiting for an excuse to drink rather than looking at this as holistically healing my body and mind from a poison that has afflicted me for years. Quickly realizing this, I immediately left. Some would think "oh well, it was just one. No harm done." Well that may be true had you not been downing booze every night for three years like myself and tried to quit probably 20 times.

So, we all know where this goes: I leave the restaurant, and sure enough pick up on the way home. My usual poison. I got drunk that night, and woke up the next day with all the alcohol related effects: Hangover, very high anxiety (the kind I had with alcohol withdrawal), and my blood pressure increased overnight back into hypertension levels. (The blood pressure was temporary admittedly) So, what did I do to alleviate all of the above? YOU GUESSED IT! I went back to the cheap booze place and bought more poison.

The kicker here is that I had 17 days sober, was completely off blood pressure medication, I was sleeping well at night, had lost 12 pounds, and I felt SO much better.

So please make sure you have made the correct decision before you think you be around alcohol.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What day are you on now Justin?

D
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day four.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lesson learned...now just move forward and don't pick up and you will be feeling good again in no time (((hugs)))
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I her ya! I did the same thing and it's taken me a month to get back to 1 day. I stopped after I found myself wretching my guts out. I just ate and feel so much better after 24 hrs without that poison.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Day four.
Good work - that's what to focus on I think.

You've raked over those old coals long enough, Justin...forgive yourself and move on

D
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story. Good job on day 4.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great reminder.! I am 1 week sober today. Except for some Friday night yearnings my AV has. Been pretty quiet. Just very tired a all the time and trying to get the energy and motivation to hit the gym.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing - live and learn. You are on the right track! Congrats on day 4!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower92663 View Post
Great reminder.! I am 1 week sober today. Except for some Friday night yearnings my AV has. Been pretty quiet. Just very tired a all the time and trying to get the energy and motivation to hit the gym.
I found out that after I worked out a couple days I got used to it. I even had more energy without all that booze in my belly.