Notices

Being the only sober person at a Super Bowl party...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Being the only sober person at a Super Bowl party...

...was not that bad. I really didn't have a lot of anxiety going even though I knew by half time everyone would be drunk and loud. I've told a few friends my desire to stop drinking so it must have made its way to the host of the party because when I got there they offered me a soda rather than a beer. The entire time people were taking shots and drinking and at no point did anyone question me as to why I wasn't drinking. It was a total non-issue.

In a way it was almost humorous to me to watch everyone get drunk and attempt to quote stats that were wrong, call teams the wrong names, talk over each other. It hit me, "I was doing the same thing last year at this party". It felt good to be sober there. At least I could hold a conversation at the end and not be slurring my words or making little to no sense. I just thanked the host and rode my bike home. Managed to have fun sober.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Awesome post! Kudos to your friends for being supportive. I've also found that for the most part we put more on ourselves about it then the people around us do.

Wasn't it a great feeling leaving there with dignity intact and knowing that there would be no aftereffects to deal with this morning?

Being around people in this atmosphere does become easier. In the beginning, especially in early sobriety, it can be a little tough. The further out you are the less aware you are of the fact that others are drinking and you're not.

This can be done!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Ha. I actually kind of get a kick out of being the only one sober these days xxxx