The drunk magnet

Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The drunk magnet

So, kinda funny story...

I was having a low moment, just sad that my marriage is ending and I am still in love with a man I need to divorce... Anyway, sat in the parking lot of the grocery store crying for a minute. We always shopped together, dunno, it just hit me...

But, I eventually got it together, reapplied makeup, FORCED myself to go in and get groceries. So, I was deciding between green beans and Brussel sprouts and a guy came out of nowhere, stood WAY too close to me and said, "well, aren't YOU a pretty thing!" HE REEKED of booze. What the heck? Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, "if you are an alcoholic come hit on me, I'll marry you?" (Not saying this dude is one, but....). Anyway, I walked away, didn't even respond .... But I holy crap.... REALLY?

I called my mom when I got back in my car. She got a good laugh out of that one...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not, it just seems that way. But it's a good thing to keep in mind.

I'm newly divorced from my A. I live on a ranch. Last night I arrived home to find the friend of a fellow ranch owner parked in my driveway. He said he was having transmission issues and his truck stopped in front of my house. He could not reach my neighbor. I asked if I could help since I know he lives 3 hours away and he very reluctantly asked me if I would mind driving him to a motel nearby. Sure, I said. So he decided to try to truck once again and he is able to get it running. So he drives off with my cell number promising to call if he gets stuck. He has 3 dogs in the truck and I'm soft on dogs.

He calls 2 hours later. Made it to motel safe and....gag....he'd like to take me out for drinks and dinner if I can pick him up. Ewww!

Did I mention this guy is about 65 and has a big rancher belly and suspenders and a crap-load of nose and ear hair? Double ewww!!! I'm 45 and still not that desperate?

I ignored his text, text him back this morning with a polite "glad you made it, hope the truck gets fixed" and he replies with a "Want to meet me for breakfast and a DRINK at such and such breakfast place/bar?" WTF?! Suddenly the beer gut, the red face, and I'm realizing the guy is a boozer.

Of course I politely declined. And following that was texts stating he was lonely, could I come and get him, and he'd take me for drinks (it's 8:30 am!)

I felt like you. What am I, some kind of boozer magnet? Where are all the nice sober guys?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pia

Ladies- I am so proud of you did you even notice?
You both were able to recognize a problem before it happened
It will take time but recognizing is a great step forward.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG ladies!!! That is so.... ewwwww!

SS Block his number! No one needs a drink at 8am!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post

Ewwww....after reading that I might need one BTDT btw, it puzzles me too.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pia

I re read this again.

"I arrived home to find the friend of a fellow ranch owner parked in my driveway. He said he was having transmission issues and his truck stopped in front of my house. He could not reach my neighbor. I asked if I could help since I know he lives 3 hours away and he very reluctantly asked me if I would mind driving him to a motel nearby"

This is scary to me you never know people anymore. Please becareful
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
I re read this again.

"I arrived home to find the friend of a fellow ranch owner parked in my driveway. He said he was having transmission issues and his truck stopped in front of my house. He could not reach my neighbor. I asked if I could help since I know he lives 3 hours away and he very reluctantly asked me if I would mind driving him to a motel nearby"

This is scary to me you never know people anymore. Please becareful
Thanks Radiant. I was really kind of spooked by it. I called a friend who knows the guy and he said the guy's harmless but "a real cowboy" and a bit bold when it comes to women, and that if I told him I was not interested (I did) he'd leave me alone (he did). I think the funny part of it was how, as you pointed out, my "booze alert" radar was on and how I never would have spotted that prior to being with an A.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post

You mean there's something wrong with hitting the bar at 8:30 on a Sunday morning? lmao
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I am taking notes on pick-up lines on this one.

I just need to take my normal sweet-talking ways and adds me alkihall.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know but somehow, I'm almost glad these guys were drunk because I would have to reevaluate my faith in the intellectual capacity of humanity if men used pickup lines like that in a sober state...

Oh, and regarding the drunk magnet thing? At least these were guys who approached YOU, and not the other way 'round. If your drunk radar works and you can avoid them, that's a great thing. It would be so much worse if you found them, and found them attractive!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One Wednesday morning around 745AM I had to stop at Walmart for milk and sugar to bring into work. I noticed a very attractive man walking up and down the aisles looking kind of confused. He finally asks me, "where do they stock the beer in this Walmart?". lol I told him they don't sell beer in this Walmart. He was visible upset and asked where the nearest liquore store was.

Never judge a book/person by their cover. Lol
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by SoaringSpirits View Post
You mean there's something wrong with hitting the bar at 8:30 on a Sunday morning? lmao
Johnny Cash Show: Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down - YouTube
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I am taking notes on pick-up lines on this one.

I just need to take my normal sweet-talking ways and adds me alkihall.
Since you are married Hammer, you might want to add:
My wife does not understand me.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Since you are married Hammer, you might want to add:
My wife does not understand me.
(or perhaps she does) and . . . .

well, actually her new fun fork-me . . . is that we are NOT actually married.

She has been rubbing that one real hard in a fairly nasty, hostile way.

You follow I tend to get things backwards?

While conventional good order is: Date, Marry, Get House, Have Kids.

We did: Have Kids, Barely Get House, and . . . . that is as far as things got. I wonder from time-to-time, if we will wind up dating?

The "Mrs. Hammer" moniker is just sort a different short-hand for all the Alphabet Lingo regarding our A/A/AOC (Alcoholic / Addict / Anorexic of Choice)