Courage To Change 02/02/2014

Old 02-02-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/02/2014

I used to live my life as if I were on a ladder. Everyone was either above me - to be feared and envied - or below me - to be pitied. God was way, way at the top, beyond my view. That was a hard, lonely way to live, because no two people can stand comfortably on the same rung for very long.
When I came to Al-Anon, I found a lot of people who had decided to climb down from their ladders into the circle of fellowship. In the circle we were all on equal terms, and God was right in the center, easily accessible. When newcomers arrived we didn't worry about rearranging everyone's position, we simply widened the circle.
Today I no longer look up to some people and down on others. I can look each person in the eye, squarely and honestly. Today, being humble means climbing down from the ladder of judgement of myself and others, and taking my rightful place in a worldwide circle of love and support.

Today's Reminder

My thoughts are my teachers. Are they teaching me to love and appreciate myself and others, or are they teaching me to practice isolation? Today I will choose my teachers with greater care.

""Live and Let Live' sets us free from the compulsion to criticize, judge, condemn, and retaliate…[which] can damage us far more than those against whom we use such weapons. Al-Anon helps us to learn tolerance rooted in love."

~This Is Al-Anon
Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just love that reading
Today, being humble means climbing down from the ladder of judgement of myself and others, and taking my rightful place in a worldwide circle of love and support.
This is brilliant and a really good reminder not only for my recovery but in my day to day life with the people I work with.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good text Carlotta.

There is a Tibetan meditation practice with the aim of equalizing self and other.

And it is in my view just as an important idolize people as to look down on them.

Fine way to put it:
taking my rightful place in a worldwide circle of love and support