Notices

First day off Xanax

Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day off Xanax

I've been taking Xanax daily for a few years. More than prescribed. Doctor shopping. The whole 9 yards.

I've been gradually tapering off and had a discussion with my shrink about it. I didn't tell her exactly how much I was taking, I have to admit.

I was prescribed it for panic attacks, along with beta blockers.

Today is the first day in my memory that I do not have any drugs or alcohol in my system that are not medically prescribed and taken as prescribed. I am not over-using anything, or self medicating. Although I probably did eat too much chocolate...

I am nervous and worried I will feel bad.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My hope for you is it won't be too bad, but if you do have any problems, it would be best then to get professional advice and input TL?

D
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have an apt with my regular GP on Tuesday. I'll see how I feel by then.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been to some NA meetings and my usage was nowhere near what I hear people talk about there. Not even close.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, Tiger xxxx
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good morning and good for you!

Taking medication like Xanax can be a pretty slippery slope. And trust me, you do not need to be comparing your usage to others. I've heard horror stories of heroin and crack abuse in N/A meetings - that didn't mean my own alcoholism wasn't a problem. You seem to know that you're not using your meds as prescribed, and you're worried enough to be here...that should be enough for you to start working on getting well. Let us know how it's going.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the post benzo world from a former booze and benzo hound.

There is life after benzos. I hope you are getting quality withdrawal information from the prescribing psychiatrist and that the MD also lends some help.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the failure to identify with a meth, crack or heroin addict in a NA meeting. It's all really the same beast, just with different colored fir and larger fangs.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope it goes well. Do get medical help if things get out of hand tho.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm so happy for you! It's awesome.

Stay in touch via SR, many of us are familiar with what you are going through. Many of us have been there.

When things start feeling overwhelming and I need to get out of my head and stave off a tail spin...here are a few sites I go to 35 Random Corners Of The Internet You Should Visit When You Need A Break

and also I go to a site called BZOINK and do silly surveys that people make up.

Big hugs
Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I've been on only half a milligram per day for a while now so I think cutting out completely will be fine. It occurs to me that the headache I've had for the last few weeks might be linked to the tapering down process.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done TL! Your moving mountains and I appreciate your contributions on this site.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Thanks!

I've been on only half a milligram per day for a while now so I think cutting out completely will be fine. It occurs to me that the headache I've had for the last few weeks might be linked to the tapering down process.
I am on day 20 off xanax. Did a 5 week taper. The last week I took ONE .0625, or 1/4 of a .25. I had awful headaches and was dizzy and nervous until the last week. So with me it was the same with that. Good luck stopping totally. I will never take another one, and will deal with my diminishing panic attacks in other ways. I did it with my Doctors help.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forgot in include that I haven't had a headache in a couple of weeks after having them daily, no dizziness at all, hardly nervous, I can think straighter, and overall I am much happier.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightshoot View Post
I am on day 20 off xanax. Did a 5 week taper. The last week I took ONE .0625, or 1/4 of a .25. I had awful headaches and was dizzy and nervous until the last week. So with me it was the same with that. Good luck stopping totally. I will never take another one, and will deal with my diminishing panic attacks in other ways. I did it with my Doctors help.
I feel the same way. I'm prepared to deal with however I feel. I don't think I was ready a year ago, or six months ago. I'm a bit nervous, but feel positive and know I'm making the right decision. I see my shrink weekly and she's great.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you !!! Bravo! I was on them for a year and a half. I found the nervousness diminished tremendously as the days went on. Went to see my mental health counselor today and she said you don't want any more pills? I said no. She said no more therapy? I said no, but I will let you know if I need it someday. If an old hen like me can do it, anyone can. I feel so much better. You can do it!!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I've been taking Xanax daily for a few years. More than prescribed. Doctor shopping. The whole 9 yards.

I've been gradually tapering off and had a discussion with my shrink about it. I didn't tell her exactly how much I was taking, I have to admit.

I was prescribed it for panic attacks, along with beta blockers.

Today is the first day in my memory that I do not have any drugs or alcohol in my system that are not medically prescribed and taken as prescribed. I am not over-using anything, or self medicating. Although I probably did eat too much chocolate...

I am nervous and worried I will feel bad.
You can do it!
I was on benzos for thirty years. Currently into seventh month totally off them,after a very long taper.
Make sure the medics deal with any taper issues.......

Don't worry about the choccies.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

wow. Tigerlili! That is awesome.
I have been on so many benzos for so long that now that I am off them, I think about thme more than I think about alcohol.
Such a big step - congrats. Hope you feel ok...and def don't worry about the chocolate! lol
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Haha thanks guys. No headache today, so that's good.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say I'm feeling fine. Still having some headaches but they seem to be related to muscular tension which I am dealing with through physio and acupuncture.

I also decided to give gluten-free a try as it might address some of my other health issues. So far, so good.

I feel like a different person. I don't wake up feeling groggy. I don't need as much sleep. I feel clear and focused.