Notices

5 Months

Old 02-01-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Months

I am 5 months sober today and it feels good. I still have worries and make mistakes but they are far less than when I was drinking. The greatest thing about being sober for me right now is my new found emotional stability. Now that I am sober I actually get to feel my feelings and work through them. When I was drinking I wasn’t able to fully process anything that was emotionally difficult. I was continually rehashing things that had happened way back in the past. Now I am able to move forward, it isn’t always easy but I am seeing some definite progress in my life and my relationships. I know that I am becoming more emotionally mature as time goes on. I still have a long way to go, but it is encouraging to see a start.

I am so grateful to be sober today and I know that the best is yet to come. Thank you everyone here on SR for being so encouraging and such a strong presence in my life. I do not know how I could have made it thru the holidays without your constant stream of support.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 5 months

D
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 5 months, that's great xxx
Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, five months is great!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congratulations!!

and thanks for the post. It's timely for me. Yesterday and today I've felt down. Just a general sort of glumness that I haven't really identified the source of. Maybe it's just the 'normal' rhythms of life and emotions that come and go..... but in being sober, I am feeling it and noticing it and taking the time to let it sit and work through it, as you say.

In the past I probably wouldn't have allowed myself to feel it long enough to really take notice and evaluate what's happening or to let it be there and move through. I probably would have found a reason to drink at the earliest twinge of it. Buried it. Chased it away. Replaced it with the horrible feelings of being hungover and feeling shameful and regretful and doing it all over again.... just making it worse in the long run but not even realizing it.

anyway, thank you for the reminder that actually, feeling glum is sort of a gift.