Notices

Hello - First Post

Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hello - First Post

Just wanted to say hello to everyone! I've been a member for a week or so. I'm 25 yrs old and have been self medicating with alcohol for several years. Brene Brown said it best that we can't pick and choose which emotions to numb. Alcohol may take my pain temporarily but it takes the outgoing, optimistic and fun person I am too. Well, I want happiness and the real me back! I'm scared but I can't continue on this path. I'm grateful to have not had any serious health or legal issues. Today, I'm raising my "rock bottom" and making changes!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi StayStrong33 welcome to SR. Keep with it, you're doing so well, you will get back the real you x
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome StayStrong33, glad you have joined us.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome you will find a lot of positive support her i cetainly have 20 days dry now and feeling better, keep strong keep positive.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Good to have you join us on the road of sobriety. I understand being scared of stopping. Sobriety is brand new, uncharted territory for us when we first make the decision to put the drink down. I didn't know what was around the bend... Took a lot of faith that it would be good. That I would be ok without alcohol or drugs. I'm glad I made the decision, and I know that you will be too
Old 02-01-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Stay Strong

D
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! My main struggle currently is the emotional ups and downs. I get to about a week of doing the "right" things to keep me from drinking then I get very irritable. Next, I feel like a bad daughter, sister, friend, etc and to get those thoughts to stop, I drink. All my family really wants is my happiness. I've mentioned taking a break or stopping drinking to a few friends who drink but I usually get "Let me know how that goes" in response when i secretly hope they will say "Hell yes! Let's do it!" Now, I've just made the decision to reach out on SR because you all are on the path I seek. I don't want the madness anymore
Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep the faith Staystrong. You are so young and you write as if you have a great head on your shoulders. I am much, much older, but I wish I would have stopped at your age. So many destructive years, weekend binges, getting in trouble with the law, friends asking me what happened to you, you drink too much and you used to be so sweet. Blackouts, changing jobs a lot, being mean to some closest to me, too many "boyfriends" for too short a time, if you get my meaning. Booze is way too expensive in Miami anyway, especially South Beach. Best wishes to you.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

staystrong

You are in a great place for positive support. And also a place to "put it out there" and be understood. As for your friends, maybe taking a break from them might be a good idea - I haven't told anyone I'm not drinking, I'm just doing it. I have told people before and when they didn't give me the reaction I wanted (exactly the same one you wished for) it made not drinking,not so attractive to me and I started in on the negative thinking and felt I was never going to do it. Sadly, I let others sway me.... too often. One thing you might think about is "Keep your goals from the trolls" LOL I know it sounds silly but I heard it a long time ago and it applies to me and a lot of the people surrounding me (esp@work). Some people just don't want others to be happy or succeed. Pick out the people that are positive and supportive of you and let the naysayers out of the picture, at least until you get a little firmer ground under your feet. This past time I actually let a few friendships go - I didn't realize how detrimental those people were in my life until I gave up the notion that I owed them something since we had been friends for some time. I didn't and I don't. And I'm better off not being around them. I'm worth whatever it takes. And I am sure you are too~Best wishes!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great decision, how wise you are xxxxx
Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome from one newbie to another
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Newbie as of today and I'm just learning to navigate the forum but this thread caught my eye. StayStrong33 - your words could be mine (minus our age difference) and wanted you to know you've already inspired me to make my first post. Thank you! I hope to start here to "stop the madness" as well.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Staystrong- welcome. You seem like you're pretty hard on yourself. I can understand that. I'm that way myself. You don't need your friends to stop drinking with you. You can do this by yourself. In fact I don't think you can really stop drinking until you do it by yourself and for yourself.

And if you start feeling irritable after a week or so of soberity. .. well that's understandable. .. it's all right. .. it's part of the process. ..It doesn't make you a bad anything. .. you're still a good person... you're just dealing with some stuff. You wouldn't judge someone else so why be so hard on yourself?

You can do this!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Staystrong333!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

@EveryMinute glad we've both made a decision to do better for ourselves! It makes me feel good to have inspired you. We

@Milly4Me You hit it right on the head. I am a perfectionist which ties in closely with why I chose to drink in an unhealthy way. I've often bought alcohol and didn't even want to drink it. I'd just let it stay there as a safety net. If I didn't feel good enough, if a relationship didn't last, if anything 'unperfect' happened that I couldn't let go of on my own - my bottle was still there. This time feels different because I'm approaching my issue with compassion instead of disappointment. I've got to let go of the perfectionism crutch as well. Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. It's good that you want to get your life in order at such a young age. You'll avoid many regrets in your later years.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Talking 1 Week Sober

I've finally reached 1 week of absolutely no alcohol! My mood has improved, sleeping a lot better, and less anxiety. Things that have helped so far:

1. Visiting SR daily to read and respond
2. Making sure I have a productive schedule each day. I actually write it out in my planner. Then I can look back and feel productive rather than like a waste of life.
3. Drinking almost a gallon of water daily and working out.
4. Creating a new nighttime ritual
5. Reading about spirituality and working on being in the present moment
6. Calling and visiting friends and family who are sober
7. Planning an activity during the times that I would usually debate going to the liquor store (i.e. try out a fitness class, visit family and friends, work)
8. Watching documentaries on the serious effects of alcohol and focusing on my overall health.

Just a few things working for me right now for all the newbies! Thanks for everyone's help
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That is a brilliantly simple (but challenging) list to keep yourself sober!! Many of those things I have adopted in my own 1-month sobriety. Especially the water-drinking and working out... I have actually taken to drinking gallons of hot tea!

The nighttime ritual is huge, too.... I used alcohol to fall asleep. I've had many a sleepless nights since I've been in recovery, but it's been so worth it! I want the "real me" back, too.

Great work, StayStrong33! Here's to another sober day.