Notices

Having a brew

Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a brew

Last time I posted I think I had just been 2 weeks and then I drank.
I'm feeling so much better since the first time I came on here.
Even though I'm falling off the wagon every 2-3 weeks, I'm drinking so much less.
I don't wake up feeling like ****.
However, when I do drink, it is completely pointless. I just busy down about 8 drinks by myself and then that it for a couple weeks or so.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's good that you're cutting back. Good for you.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah but can ya go from being a crazy **** head to being a responsible drinker?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Booze head*
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
Yeah but can ya go from being a crazy **** head to being a responsible drinker?
In my case, no. I'll never be a normal drinker. And more importantly, I value my sobriety and don't want to drink again, normally or otherwise.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah cool, I've been working hard and most times the habit 'get some alcohol on the way home' pops in my head I think about the next day and possible loss if $$ but mostly how good I feel about doing physical wrk with out feeling utter gutter for the whole day
Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

the only way I could do it was stop drinking - tapering down never worked for me.

I had to make major changes in my life too cos my entire love resolved around drinking and drinkers.

I'm not trying to put you off - just trying to make the point it takes commitment.

D
Old 01-31-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kimura....

I spent years trying to be a 'moderate' drinker.

decades.

it cost a lot, in a lot of ways. I'm not the kinda guy who does 'moderate' where alcohol is concerned.... at least not for long and not consistently.

Maybe you can.... maybe not. We all have to come to that answer ourselves.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm feeling so much better since the first time I came on here.
Maybe you need more support than what SR can provide. Or maybe you need to spend more time here when you get it in your head that it's okay to drink.

When you decide to quit, you quit. And you do the things necessary to stay quit. Are you doing those things? Or did you think the decision to quit was enough?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I havnt been trying to be a moderate drinker or taper down. I've been trying to stop.. But this is just what I've noticed has happened and I'm feeling good. So far. It's not like I'm looking forward to when I can drink. It just happens and so far is alot better. It's almost like I'm looking at it nutritionally more now
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

From the nutritional perspective, I feel so much better now that I'm sober. Prior to quitting I was working out with a trainer, but would go out on the weekend and multiple times a week and drink the evening away. Now, after 3 months, I'm still working with a trainer, but I feel noticeably stronger - in mind and muscle. I'm also thinking more about what I eat and making healthy choices that support this lifestyle. I hate the term, but it really is a win-win situation.

Keep at it!!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it will help your sobriety, maybe focus on your fitness and health. Like reflection stated, their fitness didn't improve until they stopped drinking. Its amazing how alcohol can make all the hard work we do in the gym null at the end of the day.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...abolism.html#b
Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Quit for 30 Straight days and see how you feel
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very occasionally I could have one or two, however it would be like watching myself balance on a knife's edge. I would be hyper-aware of the fact that "hey look I'm just having one". Within a few days, that one drink would become half a bottle, then a full bottle and then I'd be back where I started, only harder.

99% of the time, one drink leads to another and another and another. I know I cannot drink 'normally'. The only answer for me is to abstain completely.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's almost like I'm looking at it nutritionally more now
Wat?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i think there are people like "us" and then the rest. some kind of intensity difference. not better, not worse.

if more craziness makes me feel normal, than more drinking or weirdness feels normal. i've gotta go for normal, easy.

i love the honesty on this site, really really encouraging. i quit for two weeks early january, and have been "in control", but know that after superbowl i need to be done. i need to be done for so many reasons, the greatest is that i have a one year old granddaughter, with a lovely mom who i had at 22 (ooops) and love with all of my life, who won't put up with a slushy grams, and she already has seen enough, and still, loves me, and i her, always and every day.

i can't thank all of you enough. this, by far, is the greatest semblance of people i know, willing to be honest.

thanks again for your courage.