Notices

My Life Is Better...

Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Life Is Better...

Since around the time I first posted on this forum my life has improved notably. After finally admitting to myself that my behaviour and habits were out of control, I could finally begin to fix my life. I didn't realize what a massively negative effect drinking & drugs and the accompanying chaos had had on me. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally - I was mentally worn out, depressed and drained of all enjoyment. My life had ceased to matter to me and I didn't recognize the person I was becoming. The people I had surrounded myself with were toxic and dysfunctional. This had happened because I myself had become toxic and dysfunctional. I didn't feel fit to be in the company of 'decent people'. I'd become what people refer to as one of the 'dregs of society' (I hate that phrase, but it unfortunately exists). To fix myself I had to change and leave people behind and close some doors permanently.Slowly but surely I have done it. I think today is the first day I've realized how much! My confidence has improved, I'm in a steady relationship for the first time in my life, I have interests that don't revolve around substance and alcohol abuse, we've moved house and set up somewhere that is entirely our own. I have created a whole new life out of the ashes of the old one. All I need to do now is find some steady work, keep sober (the hard part) and things will hopefully continue to get better.

The reasons I began to drink and use in my early teens are gone. I'm no longer awkward, no longer cripplingly shy, no longer haunted by demons from family tragedy...but I've been drinking and using as though they were still here,even though they'd snuck out,closed the door quietly behind them and left me with the bottle. I nearly wrecked my life to fix my life, now that seems so stupid.

This improvement is in part due to support from this forum, and the constant posts - positive and negative - that remind me of how my life has been, could be again and hopefully will be if I stay on the right track. This is not over by any means and I know I'll be knocked off the horse and have to get back on many times, but that's life. It'll be a long road...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. First started this journey several years ago, and it took me years to start to change for the better. Just over a year sober now, and life isn't great. I mess up, stay in emotions, don't always do the right thing etc., but I have improved. I have accomplished several things that are firsts, in a good way, in the past year. I am not the same person, and I like my life today a whole lot more then I used to
Old 01-31-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

James I am delighted for you, it's wonderful to hear of the progress you've made. You live in beautiful country: we are currently enjoying the All Creatures Great and Small dvds and the Yorkshire countryside is breath taking.

I find being on SR daily helps me enormously, as much as possible I check in morning and evening, it keeps me focussed on recovery and gives me a chance to give back a little of the support I've received.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done James. I remember when you first joined and it's fantastic to see your progress
Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SR is a great place, James18. I'm glad to see it has helped you like it has helped me.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going to be off the net for a while (maybe a week or so), so if anyone wonders where I've disappeared to I haven't gone on a bender! Still going well and will be back soon
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GREAT WORK ! keep it up
Old 02-02-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for letting us know James

D
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

So pleased to hear that James, try and stay on the horse xxx
Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

James you are setting a great example and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks for letting us know James

D
No worries Dee, I wouldn't like to just disappear in 'real' life, and know it's just as annoying online! The weather is good at the moment so I'm going to make the most of it and maybe go away for a few days or at least get out every day. I'll probably still make it on to post at some point though, just not every day.