Ride on the train to crazy town

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ride on the train to crazy town

So AH hasnt really spoken to me since Sunday. Which is fine. He is also in a terrible mood, snapping since Sunday as well. He (so far as I know) has not had a beer since Sunday. It's ok. But....
My mother has gone to hospital. She is a differnt kind of addict, she is addicted to jellybeans, nose spray, pop smokes and prescription meds. She is physically disabled so for everything except the meds I am her enabler. She whines like a baby if she runs out of jellybeans and you dont go and get some.
ANyways she is in the hospital. She lives with us and was gone by the time I got home yesterday. I went to talk to nurses as they wouldnt give me info by phone last night, when I got home AH was sleeping. He got up this morning, no good bye no nothing. I texted him and told him I wouldnt be home for lunch as I was going back to hospital...no nothing, no how is she, how can I help....etc. No support what so ever. Oh well ...should I be suprised..No.
Now on to her, she is appearing crazy to me. When I went to see her a roomate went to the bathroom and rang the bell for a nurse to come help. Mom says thats the song they play when someone dies, they are playing it all the time, the nurses think the families find it peaceful. She also was laughing hysterically saying maybe she had a stroke and asking if my dogs were dead because they got into her pill bottles because the ambulance people left them on the table. Today she was telling me how the nurses are lying. they are lying to her roomates, they are lying to her, they are lying to me.
The nurses say she seems fine...but my conversations with her have been very trying to say the least. She ran out of a pretty stong prescription over a week ago..so I am unsure if this is still withdrawal, if there is something else, if it is just an act with me. The hospital is keeping her for another day at least, but I am not sure what they are looking for or what is wrong.
She is begging me to take her pills in from home. But I will not give her anything without checking with the nurses. It is very tiring.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this. As a Health care provider, I would suggest you speak with the Doctor who is responsible for your Mom's care while in the hospital. Be assertive in letting him/her know something is wrong. Ask for an evaluation to determine if this is physical or mental in origin. The nurses don't know your Mom as well as you do. With respect to your AH, he's doing what A's do. It's a seflish disease, he doesn't have the capacity to worry/have compassion for someone else. Best not to expect anything from him, then you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im sorry Sky. Question...has she been tested for a urinary tract infection? I just recently found out its quite commom to act very strange if you have one. My Nanna was talking out of her head and we insisted they check her and sure enough. Just a thought.

Hugs...we are here
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spoke with the head nurse. I told them her behaviour was not normal for her. My dd thinks mom is behaving that way more around me. I am just confused and worried. I am going to see if I can get the doctor to call me tomorrow.
As for ah I was thinking about it earlier, thinking that I was getting angry because I expected him to ask, it was my failed expectation not his action. I'm trying to work on the I don't care, but it feels like in doing that I am blocking my own emotions. He did end up asking, not fair to be mad because he didn't ask when I thought he would.
In a way I am finding that he is very predictable. He asked after I got home from work, because he took 20 that I had set aside for our cell phones, and had an hour to drink before I got home. I knew that as soon as we got paid he would buy beer. It is so sad that he needs to have beer in his system to not be cranky. Whatever, I am still not really speaking to him except when I have to. This is no way to live, but it sounds a lot better than what others on here have endured.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovering2 thanks for your advice!
Hopeful thank you for your suggestion. Not sure if they checked for that. I know they did lots of blood tests and are doing more tomorrow. She's been a bit off for quite a while now, but it was simple things like not remembering what a pineapple is called. But last night, today and even yesterday before she left she seems very confused. I was already stressed, trying to figure out what to do, how I can go about it, having courage and now this added worry.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

More craziness...also stressing me out is that when mom runs out of mess she will tell them anything to get them, she blamed it on both of my dd before. Also she Refuses to not smoke in the house and the firemen have called child agencies before to say a child lives here and someone smokes in the house. Plus when we got home one of our fire alarms was on the stove.. Ah had removed all three, wandered around and put them somewhere. I prompted him to find them tonight. So now I am waiting to see if we get a fine for the alarms and child services for ds. Dd 20 had a baby, gave her up for adoption, wouldn't give me the option to adopt her because of ah,she is three now and luckily her new mom is fantastic and I still get to see her. But dd had baby number 2 and her bf is an addict. Has forbidden anyone in our family from going to their place, but has no problem when she phones me because they don't have formula. Dd is a ra... But not sure how recovering I have managed to detach from her, love her like crazy but afraid she's going to make same mistakes over so i give my opinion but am not running around trying to take care of her responsibilities.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just want to send you big hugs! Im sorry its so hard....