Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

First post Oh boy...or Oh crap depending on how you look at it!

Notices

First post Oh boy...or Oh crap depending on how you look at it!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post First post Oh boy...or Oh crap depending on how you look at it!

So......I'm 54 and a widow, a caregiver to my elderly father who has Lewy Body Dementia and is 87. I'm an animal advocate and rescue worker for dogs. I'm also a Mother to adult kids that have children of their own but live away. I'm also disabled, many reasons but most of them are mental illness related....Social Anxiety, Chronic Depression, and General Anxiety...panic disorder etc.

I'm living somewhere I don't want to live and doing something I got roped into doing because my siblings won't. I am feeling really really resentful and frustrated and trapped.

The excitement in my life has been drinking myself silly til all hours of the night every night. I know it's not good for me. I know it's going to kill me. I am drinking strictly Miller Lite bottles only. Yes, I'm a finicky drinker!

I come from an alcoholic background. My Grandfather on my Mom's side as well as my Mom and several of her siblings all were alcoholics. Mom, oddly enough suddenly quit one day and stayed quit. She gave the credit to God. I don't know. All I know is she never ever craved it again. Never slipped up. God love her.....

I lost Mom in 2008 and my husband in 2009. In the past few years, I've also lost my brother in law and my nephew (same family) We are all shaking our heads at this point wondering WTH our family did to deserve all this. Two days ago, I lost my oldest Chihuahua, Jesse who wasn't quite 11. He got ill very suddenly last week and got worse over the weekend. I had an appt for him to see his vet but he died before the appt. To say I've been sad is such an understatement. I'm so tired of losing people and pets that I love.........

Okay so I'm rambling. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Stephanie. I don't even know yet what I'm doing here. I know I can't keep doing this. I know deep down, I want to do big things in my life. I want to eventually open a non profit for unwanted Senior dogs and have a mini sanctuary for them and fosters to take in the rest......

I can't do any of that while I'm drinking!! I'm not good to anyone this way. I just don't know how to stop this damn roller coaster ride!! It's crazy! It's all stupid habit!

Well, thanks for listening to my very long rambling rant and intro.....Probably just going to lurk for a bit and try to get a game plan going....
Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing. I am sorry for your losses. You definitely have a wonderful goal in life that would make such a difference to suffering animals. You can realize this dream. Keep coming to this place for inspiration and strength. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Stephanie

when I crawled in here 7 years ago I wasn't sure I could do it either - but I knew I had to try.

The support and advice I found here helped me turn my life around and helped me reconnect with the real me - the me buried beneath years of drinking.

I know we can help you too - I'm really glad you've found us

D
Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous in Rhode Island

those 12 steps saved my life.

I got sober at 50, almost 3 years ago......

Condolences on your losses, I do understand

love & hugs,
~SB
Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11 and you can do it welcome to sr
Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Stephanie and welcome!
I am sorry for all of the loss you have endured recently, it sounds like it has been a very difficult time. It may not sound like it but removing alcohol is actually a gift you can give yourself. I was very depressed when I was drinking, it wasn't all due to alcohol, but it didn't help. I hope you stick around, there is a lot of wisdom here, it has helped me a lot.

You are among a lot of animal lovers here! I think I relate to animals partially because I know what it feels like to be trapped and not have a voice. I actually did build a shelter for adult cats at my home, it is a blessing every day.

Animals have helped me a lot in staying sober, they live in the present, and don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. You're among friends here.

Sounds like you have a lot of love to give. Don't forget to love your self too.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story... welcome to SR!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi Stephanie and welcome. We are around the same age and it's never too late. I hope you can find some answers here. Many do xxx
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

from a fellow dog lover and rescue advocate.

I'm glad you joined us. There's a lot of support here so take advantage of it to help you stop drinking. I can see your life has been very stressful but drinking only makes things worse.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hi.

It was when I was caring for my terminally ill mom that my drinking went off the rails, along with relapsing on pain killers. So I understand the stress you are under. You think drinking is the only way to deal with it, and to some degree, it does work, quite effectively, making quitting all that more difficult.

But sobriety is soooo much more effective in regards to dealing with the demands on our time and fulfilling our goals. You won't be sorry you quit.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Stephanie

I'm so sorry for all you've been through - and for the pain you're still facing - but now that you've found your way here, I hope you will realise that you're not alone

You'll find a great deal of wisdom, understanding and support here
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, OBXdreamin. I am so glad that you are here with us. Welcome to SR.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Stephanie,

I'm glad you found us. This is a great group of people helping one another. I am a caregiver too and understand the stress it can put you under. Alcohol only makes you think you're doing okay. You're on the right path here, give it a chance!

Kris