Notices

I stop drinking when I've had enough...so am I ok?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I stop drinking when I've had enough...so am I ok?

Hi
That's it really. Questioning a lot. Usually drink 1. -2 bottles wine a night or somewhere in between. Today I was on a recovery course and kind of. Panicked that I could be on the cusp of sobriety. So, midday, I'm seeking out a pub. I drank a ping of cider, a pint of strong lager and a large glass of wine. Only went in for one. Since I've been home, I've had getting on for a litre of lager and two thirds of a bottle of wine. There is more wine there but am going to throw it away. So as I don't drink to the point of unconsciousness or total inebriation, do you think I'm ok?
I mean this seriously. I don't mean to sound glib. I am thinking a lot. But I need some outside voices.
Thanks in anticipation xx
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism has little if anything, to do with how much you drink or how often.

It has to do with how drinking affects your life. Are you thinking about alcohol a lot? Do you have problems with family/friends because of your drinking? If you are here seeking answers, then it's probably a concern for you.

Welcome, please take a look around.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think about it a lot" it's had a good hand in ruining my marriage and many regrettable incidents since. It's very likely to lose me my job and it stops me being a consistently boundaried mum.. X
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You won't get much of drinking normally opinions on SR unfortunatly.

Most of us that ended up here have an issue with Alcohol. But there is support for everyone at all stages of recovery or just to talk openly.

Glad you are here and hope you get as much input as required.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You say you stop when you've 'had enough'. But with the problems you mentioned it would seem that enough is too much. Why not quit entirely for three months and see how you feel then. If you find yourself thinking about drinking a lot or getting frustrated that you can't drink, then you may have a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"do you think I'm ok?'

"I think about it a lot" it's had a good hand in ruining my marriage and many regrettable incidents since. It's very likely to lose me my job and it stops me being a consistently boundaried mum"

I think you answered your own question.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have tried to quit but can do a week at best before if drives me insane, then I quickly end up back where it am.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What kind of support system do you have? Any close friends or family members you could lean on for support when you 'go insane' for a drink? AA is a good place to start altho there are other recovery programs out there.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, one is one to many and one more is never enough.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

My alcoholism is that I can't live without drinking---at some point.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1-2 bottles of wine a day seems way more than "enough" to me. It doesn't sound like you stop when you have had enough.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't access local support groups as I work in this field.
I am getting some one to one support.
It's become almost an obsession.
But I kind of fear the fact that I have not been drinking as much as some as a predictor for relapse in the future. You know, telling myself I have it under control and it was never that bad anyway.....
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You got a lot of really good advice and support on your other thread, Dippy. I don't think anyone has really changed their opinion between then and now.

My personal thinking is that you definitely have a problem with alcohol. We can support you as best we can online, but some face-to-face support would be very valuable. If you truly want to stop drinking though, you are going to have to do just that. Don't pick up no matter what.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are asking for opinions, So I'll just go ahead and say it. In my opinion you have a problem with alcohol and are probably an alcoholic. It's ruining your marriage and you might lose your job because of it self-admittedly. You also cannot stay stopped on your own volition.

The good news is that there is help here and many other places, and you absolutely can quit if that's what you choose. But it is a choice you need to make - we can give our opinions but only you can make the actual decision
Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to rehash anything. My first post was about planning a last drink. I had fab support and can see a last drink is futile.
I'm just genuinely worried a bout the voice that says' it wasn't that bad, you'll be ok to have the odd one'.
X
Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That is your "addict voice," Dippy. It wants you to drink. You drink a LOT...1-2 bottles of wine a night is a LOT. You admit it has caused a lot of problems for you, yet you still want to drink. That, in itself, pretty much guarantees you are alcoholic.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this disease will kill you if you let it. I hope you don't let it.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Moderation is impossible for me. You may have done well to pout the wine away, but it could escalate badly. Just try not to drink tomorrow xxx
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Thanks. I have tried to quit but can do a week at best before if drives me insane, then I quickly end up back where it am.
I dunno if you're an alcoholic, or 'ok' as you asked in your original post, but I've never met a non-alcoholic who has said anything remotely resembling this statement.......

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

since you are in the field, take a look at what you've written as if you are the professional.....what would you tell this client?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
instant

It wasN't until I tried to stop that I realises how far gone I was. Even then in hindsight after six months of sobriety i was amazed what a difference it made after putting toxins in my body every day for so many years.

If a week off drives you insane, its time to take stock ...which you are