Notices

Peoples opinions if you giving up drinking

Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peoples opinions if you giving up drinking

I was told today that I was an "amazing person" for giving up drinking, (125 or so days so far).
I know that I'm not amazing, I am an alcoholic and I can tell I am an alcoholic because when I was drinking I used to think my brother who was sober was an "amazing person" for giving up drinking. All he did was stop drinking, I was so attached to alcohol that to be without it was almost unattainable for me.
But I am sober now, still friggin crazy but without the alcohol! I'm in AA thank God.
Yours in sobriety
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think those are statements of admiration and acknowledgement of how dang hard it must be (and IS) to make a choice of sobriety in this booze-addled world... especially if one is an alcoholic.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have my friends who are simply social drinkers...meet had any trouble from drinking. And these friends say things like, "I could never so that!"

And you are an amazing person. By giving up drinking you are being an amazing person to yourself and those in your life.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^exactly.... I often look around at so many friends, family, colleagues, acquaintances and just in observing their "social behavior" have to wonder; how many of these folks have ever gone even three months without drinking in their entire adult lives?

Think about it.... happy hour, birthdays, football games, tailgate parties, graduations, weddings, divorce parties, Thursday Guys Nights, Friday Ladies Nights, business lunches, business dinners, mimosa brunches, bloody mary's.......

How many people have the resolve to just choose not to drink through the onslaught of so many social norms that glorify, celebrate and thrust booze upon us?

Hell - how many of those "social drinkers" even COULD if they wanted to?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being brave doesn't mean having no fear. It means acting in spite of that fear. However we all got here, that's what we are doing by choosing not to drink. That? Is amazing.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those of us who are alcoholics know how very hard it is to recover.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think of ten random people that you know well and preferably people that you have some level of emotional attachment (Your kids, niece, nephew, spouse, coworker etc.). Now think of each one of those people as individuals and think of one at a time and imagine them individually struggling with some type of random addiction. Alcohol, drugs, codependency... you name it. Now imagine each one of them getting help in a recovery program. I am fairly certain that you would think more highly of every one of them for fighting the good fight, having the humility to ask for help, making a strong effort to improve themselves. You would see them acting responsible and doing the right thing. You would likely judge them much less or in a positive light. Now imagine how you would feel about yourself walking through the doors for the first time of AA, NA, ACOA, Celebrate recovery and so on. Imagine the shame and guilt. Think of how you then feel about yourself. This answer will likely be 180 degrees off. Could it be that we are judging ourselves too harshly? I think the vast majority of people are truly forgiving of others when they see change. I know I am when I see change. You are an amazing person for having the courage t walk thru the doors. You will be surrounded by many amazing people who are doing the right thing for themselves and their loved ones. Someday soon you will be helping others walking through that door for the first time realize they are amazing people too and that is when it all comes together.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

My little sister was awesome when I told her I've been sober for a month, but then, she knows my family. Haven't told other family yet.

Social aquaintences don't get it yet. They think I'm doing another cleanse. What they don't is what was easy in the past was an absolute nightmare this last time around. I'm not ready to tell people I'm an alcoholic because of my job.

I think owl is right. Some people are threatened because it causes them to examine their own consumption. I've had folks try to talk me into a drink, and when I decline they want to ask questions. I just say I' not drinking today. I don't have to tell them ever. I think people are more confused than malicious.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I had an amazing one on one with my Niece / God daughter last night about my situation.
She is so supportive of what I'm doing, in a nutshell I told her looking back almost everything I did revolved around or included alcohol.
I wanted to make a major change in my life and this was the obvious choice.
I told her I was terrified, like I would be giving away my very being.
But as it turns out, and so many here have attested to this,
it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
I'm at forty something days now, and I don't regret what I'm doing at all. Not one single bit.
To me the trial was honestly telling myself I was going to stop, that there was no other choice, and then getting through the first three days.
After the body cleanses itself, it's amazing.
Everyone says they are proud.
So, here we are....

Dan
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Considering how deep in I was, the fact that I got sober (and stay that way) is amazing to me.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Apart from my mother, no one has described me as 'amazing' for giving up drinking. In fact most people look at me with an expression of pure bewilderment when they see me sipping on a ginger beer whilst they drink their beers. I mean, of course, these people were unaware of the extent of my drinking problem, or even the fact I had a drinking problem, but I'd love to be congratulated on my giving up the booze. Sobriety is a hard, hard road, but of course a very rewarding one and I think its nice that someone told you were amazing for giving it up. It really does require a lot of strength to kick the booze so I'm gonna second their comments and also say you're amazing. Well done!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Very few people, know I am an alcoholic. Outside of SR, I don't even use the word. I just say, I don't drink alcohol anymore, because of my medical condition.

In the UK, we seem to have a difficult time accepting any mental illness, including if you like alcoholism as people will either judge you as a threat or to mocked.

I have heard people say in soap operas "You cant even have a drink without taking it too far". Completely misunderstanding the illness altogether.

This was on a mainstream, soap opera around 2 years ago. With attitudes like that, I do not welcome the scrutiny from either my peer group or the authorities.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

True, when it comes down to it, the only one who should be patting us on the back is ourselves.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - you all are also amazing! It certainly is a relief to not drink anymore.
"I truly, deep down, regret my decision to stop drinking alcohol"- SAID NO ONE EVER! XD
Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am no more amazing for abstaining from alcohol consumption, than I am for not eating tomatoes (I don't like tomatoes).

I'm just an alcoholic that doesn't want to end up dead.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the fashion is to play it down, but I'm constantly amazed at the stories and the changes I read about here.

It is amazing and it is inspiring to me

well done R.
D
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iSPAZ View Post
Think of ten random people that you know well and preferably people that you have some level of emotional attachment (Your kids, niece, nephew, spouse, coworker etc.). Now think of each one of those people as individuals and think of one at a time and imagine them individually struggling with some type of random addiction. Alcohol, drugs, codependency... you name it. Now imagine each one of them getting help in a recovery program. I am fairly certain that you would think more highly of every one of them for fighting the good fight, having the humility to ask for help, making a strong effort to improve themselves. You would see them acting responsible and doing the right thing. You would likely judge them much less or in a positive light. Now imagine how you would feel about yourself walking through the doors for the first time of AA, NA, ACOA, Celebrate recovery and so on. Imagine the shame and guilt. Think of how you then feel about yourself. This answer will likely be 180 degrees off. Could it be that we are judging ourselves too harshly? I think the vast majority of people are truly forgiving of others when they see change. I know I am when I see change. You are an amazing person for having the courage t walk thru the doors. You will be surrounded by many amazing people who are doing the right thing for themselves and their loved ones. Someday soon you will be helping others walking through that door for the first time realize they are amazing people too and that is when it all comes together.
This puts it all into perspective! Thank you for this! Love it!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

125 days, you're certainly inspiring! I'm not kidding. To many, that is amazing.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm with MattyBoy - I face much more criticism from some friends now that I'm sober than anything else. That's why joining AA and having my husband's support means so much, because I am having to change my life as far as who I spend time with and hang out with. These are the same friends who told me for years that I didn't have a drinking problem and would give me grief the times I went a month or two without drinking. I have been told by several people since I was 20 that "You're just not as much fun when you're not drinking" and words like that REALLY can do a negative number to the human brain. Thankfully, I'm older and wiser about that now.

Keep it up Momma! You're doing great
Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Smile

Originally Posted by ExWinoMom View Post
Thanks everyone - you all are also amazing! It certainly is a relief to not drink anymore.
Exactly. It's a relief not to have to work out how you can get more, how much you're spending, what others think.
I was out to dinner the other day, and I saw everyone drinking sparkling at another table. I would have been watching that bottle move around, anxious for it to get to me, glass empty before everyone else, just waiting for a top-up.
Now I can relax, and just drink my mineral water before driving everyone home.