Notices

Raising grandchildren

Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Raising grandchildren

My story is too long to mention everything so I will shorten it as much as I can. Started in Aug. 2011. My son and 16 yeah old g/f told me they are expecting. We ask them to move in with us so we could help them out. G/f's parents are addicts. She had the baby in October, yes short pregnancy. November 2011: realized son was using, did not suspect g/f YET, although her mothering skills weren't the greatest. He moved out and shortly after the g/f moved with her parents. He went to detox, then CPS were called to investigate. She moved back in with us. April. 2012: Son bent to rehab, CPS were involved at this point. We called them. Noticed that the baby was very unkempt and was always gone to visit different people. My husband and I both work full time. October 2012: found drug paraphernalia in their room, called CPS, son admitted to using percocets and oxy's and also that G/f was also using. Granddaughter apprehended, both parents kicked out of our home, child to stay with us in the home she's been since birth. January 2013, g/f pregnant again. CPS says she cleaning her life up although we hear differently but drug tests coming up negative. She is now living with her parents, CPS allows overnight visits and soon become 2 weeks with mother and 1 week with us. October 2013: they get custody of #1 daughter back. November 2013: son and g/f both test positive for percocets and oxy's. We now have custody of both granddaughters. I've quit my job to look after both girls. Parents are still using, son thinking of going to rehab, has since broken up with g/f. We intend on going for permanent custody of girls to save them from a life that will be destined to drug use. I shorten the version, feel free to ask ANYTHING. My son is now on fentanyl as we'll we have come to the realization that if the drug doesn't kill him, the dealer he owes money to will kill him.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You certainly have a lot on your plate right now. You will find a lot of support here. We have a forum here just for friends and family of substance abusers. If you have questions they may have the answers you seek.

Feel free to post anywhere. This is a great place for friendship and support.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome.... this is a great tool for support and understanding.

This story sounds a lot like that of my cousin, whose parents are now in full custody of her two children after years of a similar path.

Unfortunately, she never got sober (at least not yet) and continues to live with the father (now out of prison for a second time). It's been a really hard road for them.... lots of pain, lots of raw emotion.... lots of financial and legal challenges....

But also it's been a pretty joyous journey for them with their grandchildren.

My wish for you is that amidst the pain and challenge and anguish - you find the moments of joy, and you find the support you need to keep your own balance and health as a family.

Sounds like there could well be a long road ahead.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Mama- Thank God you found SR- This group can be a lifeline for support. I am so sorry for what you've been through. I certainly hope you get permanent custody. With the girls having addiction from both parents and 1 set of grandparents, they will need a loving, stable home.
How are you doing with all this? What's it like being back in the diaper/toddler stage again? How are you coping financially since your "early retirement"?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Huge hugs, and blessings. Your grand daughters are so blessed to have you.

There are so many grandparents raising their grand children these days, see if there is a group or resource in your community. Might be nice to have same age friends in similar circumstances.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find some support here for yourself.

Hopefully your son will decide to seek help for his addiction.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome, it sure has been an emotionally draining few years.
I'm thankful for this group, it's great to be able to discuss this with people who are going through the same. I'm from a very small community and not very many people here understand what I'm going through. I am enjoying my early "retirement" the pay isn't very good but the rewards are amazing, I get paid in kisses and hugs. I never envisioned raising toddlers at my age but I wouldn't have it any other way. My son has pretty much drained us financially from stealing pretty much all our savings and from us paying off dealers for our safety. The "mother" is no better and has stolen from us as well. Thank God my husband has a good paying job. My son says that he's still calling the detox centre tomorrow so I will wait for that to happen. I will keep you all posted!!! Hugs all around!!