Notices

Newcomer to Recovery

Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Newcomer to Recovery

I'm a quitter. I've quit numerous times (drinking and smoking cigarettes). Previously - from July 3rd, 2013 to July 3rd, 2014 - cigarettes and drinking. At some point I started drinking and then I started smoking on July 3rd. I quit drinking and smoking again on January 12, 2014.

I'm seeking a forum to help me and my husband find alternatives to the bar scene and hanging out at friends houses - drinking and smoking. My husband has Hep C and end-stage liver disease. His Model for End-stage Liver Disease (M.E.L.D.) score is at 17. He's eligible to be on a liver transplant list after six months of no drinking/smoking. He quit drinking and smoking cigarettes on January 12th as well. For him it is more difficult. He's been at it longer than me (drinking and smoking). For him, it is a social event and he is very social - going to the bars and friends' houses for football or gatherings. I'm looking for suggestions on alternative social options other than the local bar or home gatherings where drinking and smoking is the focus...any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi How about cinema? or movies at home, eating out or nice dinners at home? board games and cocoa, comedy venues, cabarets with soft drinks, loads of stuff. Sounded boring to me at the beginning, but I really love those kinds of things now and go home to bed and wake up feeling good. Good luck with Hubbies op xxxxxx
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sierra - Welcome to SR! Congratulations on you and your hubby's sober time!

My experience with SR is that I lurked for a long time, then finally signed on (after about 2 years!!) I read stories of people who had been at death's door turn it around; stories of people who weren't yet ready to quit; and stories of those just beginning.

My DOC (drug of choice) is crack, but I abused the heck out of alcohol and opiates before that. I found that I could get some great wisdom from people here, no matter what they abused.

I also found out I was a codependent (someone who loved a/an addict). I read the friends and family forum and it helped, greatly.

Your husband is at a major crossroad, but in all honesty? His recovery is his, your recovery is your own.

Yes, it's totally possible to recover together, but from my experience, I had to do what was best for me, despite my love for my addict.

I hope you keep reading and posting. There is a wealth of information, experience, and support here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We are a very friendly and supportive family here. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're very glad you joined us. SierraCharlie. I think you'll benefit from the encouragement you'll find here.