Notices

Do pain meds count? Im sure they do

Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do pain meds count? Im sure they do

I I've been sober five days but due to a bulging disk take hydrocodone occasionally, so question? Should I stop that as well ? It is prescribed but am I tempting myself?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Different people think differently, but my opinion is, if you are taking it legitimately and don't abuse it, then I see no problem. If it bothers you, you might want to see your doctor and explain your situation and see if there might be something else he could prescribe.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree. I have to take various prescription medications that I have abused in the past. Working on my recovery from alcoholism has helped me stop abusing other substances.

Is there anything else you can do for the disc to manage the issue, like physiotherapy? Are you able to use a lesser strength pain killer?

I have prolapsed disc issues and an old neck fracture. I get regular massage, try to remember to do specific stretches and exercises given to me by my physio etc. I also had to change the kind of bag I carry (backpack rather than shoulder bag) to relieve the strain on my neck and shoulder. I have a lot of background pain that I am able to relieve with the stretches and simple ibuprufen every four hours on bad days. I'm really honest with myself about my pain levels and rarely need to bump up from ibuprufen. I find if I manage my injuries and weaknesses on a daily basis, it doesn't build up to a huge pain level that needs strong, prescription pain relief.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ty guys I think I could not take it if I did some therapy I will look into it
Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a terrible back and have had all sorts of surgeries (I have had 6 back surgeries in the past 4 years). I don't really find the narcotic pain relievers help and I actually don't find myself having any desire to take them. I do have a neurostimulator implant that helps and I also take gabapentin. I am no expert but pain is hideous. I couldn't walk for almost a year because of pain from my back (from an accident) and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If they help your pain and you are not taking them for fun maybe you
are just fine.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're taking them as prescribed I see no problem with it.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a drinking problem that turned into an alcohol/opiate/Benzodiazepine problem.

When I quit the pain meds, i was amazed at how things balanced out. I too have a disc problem, and the pain meds were a vicious cycle for me.

Look inward, i suspect you know the answer to this question. Opiates are HIGHLY addictive.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
I I've been sober five days but due to a bulging disk take hydrocodone occasionally, so question? Should I stop that as well ? It is prescribed but am I tempting myself?
I believe that medication taken as prescribed are ok but I would suggest that you go back to your doctor and come up clean about being an alcoholic in (early) recovery so you and her can discuss if other pain management strategies are feasible.
We do have an addictive personality and like DoubleBarrel said, opiates are highly addictive. It could be tempting for you to substitute one drug for another.
Be honest with your doctor and with yourself and whatever s/he prescribes, follow it to the letter and don't try to cheat and get more or administer it differently for "better" effect.
Congratulations on 5 days btw
Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had an opiates addiction in the past and withdrawal was hell. Anyway I suffer migraines so I do need to take them occasionally...but only as prescribed and only very occasionally. The thought of withdrawing from them again makes me sick so it's keeping me away. I don't see an issue if it's very occasional use, and not for the "buzz".