Notices

Dream Drank

Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dream Drank

Had a dream last night that I cannot remember clearly except thinking somewhere in my slumber 'Oh man, why did I drink again after all this time. Should I try to stop again? If I keep drinking, how long will this last?" I woke up with a deep sense of disappointment. Rushed out of the house and started driving to work when I realized.....wait, I didn't drink last night!!!! I was so relieved.

So strange how these drunk dreams can feel so real even after we wake up. Onward and upward.
Cheers.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I bet the feeling is shorter than an actual hangover!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My dreams have been lame.

Last night I dreamed I was the only one who could open the lid on a jar of salsa.

I must say that I appreciated all the accolades that followed. But all was lost when reality returned in the morning.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriendAgn View Post
Had a dream last night that I cannot remember clearly except thinking somewhere in my slumber 'Oh man, why did I drink again after all this time. Should I try to stop again? If I keep drinking, how long will this last?" I woke up with a deep sense of disappointment. Rushed out of the house and started driving to work when I realized.....wait, I didn't drink last night!!!! I was so relieved.

So strange how these drunk dreams can feel so real even after we wake up. Onward and upward.
Cheers.
30 days sober, just had my first one of these 3 nights ago. It was terrifying until I realized what was going on!

so glad it wasn't real
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by OliveDog View Post
My dreams have been lame.

Last night I dreamed I was the only one who could open the lid on a jar of salsa.

I must say that I appreciated all the accolades that followed. But all was lost when reality returned in the morning.
OMG!! Thanks for the belly laugh!

Early on I had drinking dreams as well. I even had 1 where I walked into the brewery and started downing everyone's beers!! Pretty Hilarious because when I was hanging out there this homeless guy would do just that!!

Plan on dreaming more in sobriety but hopefully (like me) the dreams about drinking will lessen with time.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good laugh Olive
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It happened to me last night

I have never felt so many different emotions in a single dream.

I was meeting my sober step cousin for lunch. The next thing I know, I have a pint glass of ale in my hand.... I take a big drink of it and think, 'why the HELL did I do that?'. I see an old friend and hand him the glass.... he looks at me and says, 'what am I supposed to do with this?' and I just say 'I don't care... just get rid of it!'. I walk to the table and sit down, distraught. My cousin is shaking his head, I start crying, head in my hands, devastated that I have thrown my hard work away....

Then I started to wake up... I was still upset but slowly became more aware of my surroundings. Finally, I realize what's going on and have a rush of relief wash over me. 'IT'S ONLY A DREAM!!' Wow... what a relief.

After 18 months, it is hard to believe that I am still having these dreams but one thing is for sure.... I am going to use this as another tool in my arsenal to fight the beast! Those feelings were really unpleasant but I know if I do drink they will be MUCH, MUCH worse!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A guy I know who has over ten years calls these "freebies." No hangover.

They are scary at first. I had one and woke up thinking WTF? Why did I drink? Then realized that I hadn't.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
After 18 months, it is hard to believe that I am still having these dreams but one thing is for sure.... I am going to use this as another tool in my arsenal to fight the beast! Those feelings were really unpleasant but I know if I do drink they will be MUCH, MUCH worse!
I am almost 19 months sober and had another one of these dreams recently too! Thank goodness they're few-and-far-between these days! To the OP - we've all been there. While it can certainly shake you pretty hard upon waking up, there's nothing to fear. Congrats on another day sober!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I posted a similar thread the other day! I had about 6 dreams in a row that I drank. I told my alcohol councillor and she said it was very common. It's the brain working things out. And it's a safe place to have a "relapse"

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I had a dream a few nights ago, that I got completely wasted and woke up in the middle of the night. I went downstair and poured myself a glass of wine and knocked it back. It had no effect on me, so I drank the whole bottle.

Next thing I know my Wife woke me up and said I was having a nightmare. I had dreamt everything, I didnt know if I was coming or going, but still had the guilt of drinking, even though I have still not touched a drop in over a month. Very surreal.