What are you reading these days?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you reading these days?

I like reading 2-3 books at a time, generally a mix of fiction & non fiction, recovery & non-recovery. I have books scattered everywhere in my house so one is never farther than the nearest tv remote . I have a couple more on my shelf once I finish my current reads & then I'll be looking for more ideas.

I am currently in the middle of a Jillian Michaels book, "Master Your Metabolism", which I am learning a lot from! It's all about a whole-body wellness approach that focuses on balancing our hormones like insulin, thyroid, estrogen, human growth hormone, etc.

DD & I are reading the 2nd Harry Potter book together - she is reading them for school but I love them & it's a great thing to bond over so every night she reads for 45 mins & then I join her & read aloud to her for another 15-20. I've read them/seen the movies many times so I can jump in & out of the story without any problem, lol.

I also have some Nora Roberts paperback for some fiction escapism when I'm in the spa or a long bath - I think it's called "True Betrayals"? One of her older, more murder-mystery romances.

I have "The 5th Agreement" queued up next after I finish the Jillian Michaels book, but that's it right now. So, what's everyone reading & inspired by these days?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm about half way through Sycamore Row, which is sort of a sequel to A Time to Kill, by John Grisham.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm reading a communication book called "Crucial Conversations" which I guess I would describe as something that ought to be part of the curriculum for Codie Recovery 202. It talks about how, when conversations get "crucial" (heated, emotional, important, with a lot invested), many of us tend toward either "violence or silence" and how to instead contribute to a productive conversation. It's important for me because of my job situation to have the guts to contribute my opinions, but because the office I work in is filled with people whose egos need a high-rise of their own, it's frightening. I'm working with my boss on creating a discussion environment that is safe because I can see how the productivity of this place would skyrocket if people weren't ripping each other apart all the time... that's way more than you wanted to know but anyway, that's one of my non-fiction books right now.

I'm slowly working and bawling my way through Ann Voskamps "One Thousand Gifts" which talks about finding joy through awareness and gratitude.

I'm re-reading Mary Wesley's "A Dubious Legacy" and Sara Paretsky's "Indemnity Only."

So I guess I'm like you, having several things going at once... and that is just the enjoyment and work-related stuff, that's not even going into the research-related stuff I'm reading for my writing. I don't really have much of a life but I do love my books.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, I love, love, love book threads. It increases my "wish list" by pages sometimes.

I am currently listening to The Book Thief and am reading Under the Influence on my tablet.

I have added The 5th Agreement and Crucial Conversations to my wish list. Both seem like a really good fit for where I am at right now.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn because the movie was just filmed right near the town I live and everyone was going nuts. Good book, pure fiction, not addiction themed! I just finished the book Madness by Marya Hornbacher for about the millionth time. I am listenting to my 8 y.o. read Flat Stanley LOL. I also read a little out of the bible and the CR Devoational book daily (it's just a short Daily Devo type thing but very good).

I have found when I read to much into addiction it makes me hyper over sensitive to every little thing and worry more. I need to let that go, so I am going back to my CR literature. I am going to read the book Life's Healing Choices by John Baker...again. I am also going to look up some books to read on health as I have vowed Feb is going to be my kickstart month!

Happy Reading!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grisham is a great idea - I haven't read his stuff in years, had no clue he had done a pre'quel for ATTK. That was a great book.

Lillamy - "Crucial" sounds pretty good too - adding that to the list as well. It sounds very similar to a discussion RAH & I had recently about his argument tactics - either get loud & aggressive or quiet & retreat. How timely!

Lyssy - I will check into those titles as well.... I'm really surprised I haven't read "Under The Influence" yet, duh!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ANYthing and EVERYthing! Just got a subscription to NextIssue for the tablet, so I am gorging myself on magazines. I am also reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking for my book club, as well as working on the Nightside series and Secret Histories series, some wonderfully snarky urban fantasy by Simon R Green. I have been reading for escape as well as entertainment for a long time and become quite attached to my books.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I am reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn because the movie was just filmed right near the town I live and everyone was going nuts. Good book, pure fiction, not addiction themed! I just finished the book Madness by Marya Hornbacher for about the millionth time. I am listenting to my 8 y.o. read Flat Stanley LOL. I also read a little out of the bible and the CR Devoational book daily (it's just a short Daily Devo type thing but very good).

I have found when I read to much into addiction it makes me hyper over sensitive to every little thing and worry more. I need to let that go, so I am going back to my CR literature. I am going to read the book Life's Healing Choices by John Baker...again. I am also going to look up some books to read on health as I have vowed Feb is going to be my kickstart month!

Happy Reading!
LOL - Girl Gone is one MESSED UP book. My take away was - "Wow, they are a couple of completely codependent, dysfunctional people" It was a very entertaining book though.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by POAndrea View Post
The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
oooh, that looks good! Added to my wish list.

Thanks!

From a very young age, books have been my sanctuary also!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
LOL - Girl Gone is one MESSED UP book. My take away was - "Wow, they are a couple of completely codependent, dysfunctional people" It was a very entertaining book though.
Lol, I had the same thought.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ohhhh, Gone Girl was gooooooooood and the Book Thief was an excellent read as well!

I'm reading The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists but I accidentally bought it in paper back so I'm having a tough time actually making myself read it.

I'm also reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty which seems like its going to be really good (and has a lot of great reviews) but I'm a third of the way through and it's slow going so far.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post

Happy Reading!
I read Gone Girl recently and was not all that impressed. It was okay, but kind of overrated. Currently I'm reading The Five Keys to Mindful Communication. http://www.shambhala.com/the-five-ke...-communication.html It's pretty good. I have studied Buddhism for a while so some of it is just reinforcing ideas and exercises I already know.

I love to read but can't read more than one book at a time. I think I have a bit of the ADD and can't focus on multiple books at the same time.

Thanks for the interesting post!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me, me, me

I'm about ten pages from the end of "The Shack" Thank you so much to all the people who recommended it. It's thought provoking stuff.
I'm also devouring the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child someone in work gave me a bag full and I've read three in the past week. I would never have chosen them but I'm really enjoying them.
In the car is a book of Stephen King short stories because I'm often ten minutes early for an appointment or have to eat my lunch en route.

I also have ODAT and Courage to change and lots to read for work and link after link online.

Yeah count me in with the readers
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Crucial Conversations" is a great book - I actually just unpacked our books again (basement flooded last year in a bad rain & the reconstruction recently wrapped) and found my copy again. Really should read it again!

"Gone Girl" was a fascinating read...the story had my head spinning - who thinks this up?!?!?

Currently reading a travel book for Orlando - RAH's boss called at the end of last week and asked him to take vacation in February instead of March, so we're heading to the warmth of Florida & an active vacation. Also reading my AlAnon regularly - Courage to Change, Hope for Today & Pathways to Recovery.

I'll get back to some more reading for pleasure or knowledge once we actually get to the vacation. My nights & weekends will be busy prepping for our trip until then. Glad to have some good book recommendations to check out!!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

"I Stooge To Conquer" by Moe Howard
(Three Stooge freak, I am).
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
"Gone Girl" was a fascinating read...the story had my head spinning - who thinks this up?!?!?
All of Gillian Flynn's books have really messed up people/whacked out story lines. She obviously either has one crazy/wild life or a really active imagination.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tell me about it, what a bunch of nuts! It was filmed here and lots of people I know are extras in the movie so I wanted to read the book. Wow...

On a positive note, it does make me feel much more sane when I think I am going crazy...haha!

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
"I Stooge To Conquer" by Moe Howard (Three Stooge freak, I am).
I'm one too. Sounds like a good read.

I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Záfon (second read). Beautiful piece of work.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love to read, too! I usually have a stack of books beside my bed and I carry one of my nooks with me most places. I'm kind of in a reading slump right now and am looking for some really good fiction. Am going to the library tonight (one of my favorite places), hopefully to rectify that. I typically have several non-fiction/self-help type things going at once but stick to one at a time on fiction. If I love the book, I'll finish it in a day if I have time. If I'm in a slump, I tend to drag it out a week or more.

Right now I'm just reading all of my alanon stuff, my bible study stuff, and just picked up Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps at the bookstore (another of my favorite places )

On a side note: Has anyone seen the movie The Book Thief?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a great thread!! This has certainly expanded my list of books to read.

Just finished Codependent No More. I also bought the Codependent No More workbook but haven't started it yet.

Also picked up More Language of Letting Go and plan on working my way through it during the next year. (I've read through Language of Letting Go multiple times now and was psyched to see another one along the same lines).

Currently reading The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg. So far it's proven to be very though provoking and motivating. I've changed a lot of habits lately and am inspired to change more.

Also am reading The Illustrated Man, I think it's by Ray Bradbury.