Notices

Quitting everything

Old 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting everything

Hi guys, it's been a few days since my relapse and I've had a lot of time to think. My job interview went well by the way so fingers crossed.

Now I've been considering the possibility of trying to quit.... well, everything. Everything bad for me that is.

Since I've quit drinking I've noticed my addictive behavior in multiple aspects in my life: the obvious ones are smoking and drinking. They come together and are certainly the most immediate threats to my life quality and health.

But I'm also considering quitting other things: caffeine, high sugar products, very high fatty foods, casual sex.

This isn't because I want to become some straight edge preacher with "X" tattooed on my knuckles, I'd just like to feel as though nothing is in control of my actions except my own free will.

Part of me thinks this will be all too much for me, on the other hand I think maybe going all out is the kick I need to sort my life out.

Plus, although it's a shallow reason, I'm worried about losing friends for being different.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've certainly set a healthy goal for yourself. I don't think I could quit all my 'bad habits' at once.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you lose friends because you're different, I think you need new friends tho?

best wishes with all of that at once - denying myself anything had the tendency to make me crave booze...if you find yourself craving, don't be afraid to rethink or rejig your plan, Mr Ben.

D
Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great idea Ben!

One quick observation - you're just a few days off a relapse, and now you're not just going to quit booze...but all that other stuff too? Don't get me wrong it's a noble idea, but maybe you should just start with kicking the drink. Seems like that might be enough of a challenge for you for starters. In recovery we always talk about taking things slow, one step at a time, etc etc etc. There's a reason for that. Good luck, whatever you do. But maybe you can start with a plan to quit drinking alcohol Ben?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on day 8 and I have been drinking a lot of strong tea (caffeine wise).

I also want to quit caffeine, but I'm taking it easy on myself for now. One thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

For those looking to quit caffeine.

I have had success quitting caffeine by switching to flavored seltzer or plain seltzer with a splash of OJ, cranberry juice or lemon juice.

The first couple of days were rough; however it's been smooth sailing since.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In rehab we were advised to have at least 6 months sober before giving up smoking or caffeine. The reason is as Dee mentioned, when we feel stressed we look to alcohol for relief.
I admire you for trying to get so healthy and in control!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit smoking cigs, with the help of an ecig. It has been awesome, and I was a pack a day smoker. PM me and I can give you more details
Old 01-28-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hiya MrBen
Good for you on your commitment to give up the booze .

Personally I would take baby steps and do all the other things gradually as you are setting yourself up with huge expectations to do all that at once even though its a great idea.

If you deny yourself everything at once you will just crave everything.

Perhaps a visit to your Doc for a bit of guidance and some blood tests to see where you are at so you can do things safely .

Good on you and good luck ;-)

Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Randummy

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Hi guys, it's been a few days since my relapse and I've had a lot of time to think. My job interview went well by the way so fingers crossed.

Now I've been considering the possibility of trying to quit.... well, everything. Everything bad for me that is.

Since I've quit drinking I've noticed my addictive behavior in multiple aspects in my life: the obvious ones are smoking and drinking. They come together and are certainly the most immediate threats to my life quality and health.

But I'm also considering quitting other things: caffeine, high sugar products, very high fatty foods, casual sex.

This isn't because I want to become some straight edge preacher with "X" tattooed on my knuckles, I'd just like to feel as though nothing is in control of my actions except my own free will.

Part of me thinks this will be all too much for me, on the other hand I think maybe going all out is the kick I need to sort my life out.

Plus, although it's a shallow reason, I'm worried about losing friends for being different.
How are you getting on MrBen? I hope you got a good result from the job interview. I'm job hunting at the moment so I feel your pain!

Like a few others said above, giving up all that stuff at once is a huge thing! That being said, you know yourself better than anyone and if you're doing it, then good luck to you. Don't be hard on yourself if you have any slips, it happens sometimes and you can just pick yourself up and carry on.