The Duckpond

Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

The Duckpond

Since we are now following the Substance Abuse board's format I thought since they had the "Hen House" thread, keeping with the fowl theme we could have "The Duckpond". Just an off-topic thread (or not) to get to know each other and not hijack serious threads with chatter.

So, I'll start.

On a recent thread was a short discussion on the movie Gone With The Wind, also my favorite movie of all time. I don't know if it was just too long ago, or if I blocked that part of my life out. But, I honestly can only remember just 2 or 3 of my Elementary, Jr. High, and High School teachers names. However, I do fondly remember my 8th grade English teacher Mrs. Levi for bravely taking the entire 8th grade downtown for a fieldtrip to the theater to see Gone With the Wind. The theater was historic, and I remember all the crushed red velvet curtains lining the walls, and the red velvet seats.

I also remember how all the kids howled with laughter when the character of Mammy said her first line from the upstairs window. And, how I crushed on Clark Gable for the rest of the school year. And, who could forget Carol Burnette's parody Went With the Wind where she makes a green velvet dress out of the window curtains...curtain rod and all.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
carol burnett 1.jpg (45.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I saw it in the window and I just couldn't resist it.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember going to see GWTW with my mother and grandmother at the Coliseum Theater in Ketchikan, which must have been the 1967 re-release. maybe my best movie memory ever, altho going with those same two to see Cat Ballou runs a very close second!! god we laughed!

funny...now that i'm an absolute audiobook FIEND i noticed GWTW is available....listening time? 49 hours and 7 minutes!!! and yes i'm considering it!!! with approx an hour each way for my commute, that would take me 25 working days!!!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know two separate families that named their children after the main GWTW characters. The young man (with the last name to match) is very handsome and almost all women swoon when he introduces himself. The young woman(different last name than the main character) is drop dead gorgeous and something of a look a like!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have never seen gone with the wind, maybe I should.

I saw Hush Puppy the other day, on of the better American films I have seen for long.

It was a beautiful little film.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

CO.....excellent idea! I love the idea of a "hen house" type ongoing thread! Bravo....

From Wikipedia:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" is a famous line from the 1939 film Gone with the Wind starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

It was spoken by Gable, as Rhett Butler, in his last words to Scarlett O'Hara. It occurs at the end of the film when Scarlett asks Rhett, "Where shall I go? What shall I do?" as he leaves her. The line is memorable not only because it contains profanity, but also because it demonstrates that Rhett has finally given up on Scarlett and no longer cares what happens to her.

This quotation was voted the number one movie line of all time by the American Film Institute in 2005.[1]

If only we could crawl into Scarlett's brain at that moment..........

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I never could understand what she saw in Ashley Wilkes anyway. He was such a scrawny little thing. *shudder*
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My mom used to tell me that she ( and many others) were not allowed to see the movie because of the profanity.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I never could understand what she saw in Ashley Wilkes anyway. He was such a scrawny little thing. *shudder*
Yeah, who would want the wuss when they could have the bad boy.

But, my crush ended when I heard Clark Gable shaved his entire body except for his head and stash...sorta takes away from that bad boy image.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
it demonstrates that Rhett has finally given up on Scarlett and no longer cares what happens to her.
Detachment with a hatchet!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Yeah, who would want the wuss when they could have the bad boy.

But, my crush ended when I heard Clark Gable shaved his entire body except for his head and stash...sorta takes away from that bad boy image.
You know......I could have done without that mental image........lol
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Scarlett "wanted" Ashley cuz Ashley wanted somebody else! the emotionally unavailable one, the already spoken for one. her own ego could not even conceive that he or any man would choose anyone OVER her. she would hold on to HER fantasy come hell or high water, fires OR yankees!

my dad, in his younger years, had a resemblance to Clark Gable. tall, lanky, handsome, dark haired. i'll never know why he and mom split up.......perhaps they had a similar PARTING!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read that when Rhett says, "frankly," it is a qualifier that means he really does care. Like, if you say "honestly," and then say something else -- it really means that you aren't being honest.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
I read that when Rhett says, "frankly," it is a qualifier that means he really does care. Like, if you say "honestly," and then say something else -- it really means that you aren't being honest.
Interesting.........not totally sure if I buy into it.....but interesting nonetheless. I think when some people say honestly.....they mean it. lol Honestly, I really do!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

'spose it was a bit more genteel than F off B*tch?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
'spose it was a bit more genteel than F off B*tch?
The funny thing is that in today's world "I don't give a damn" would not even phase an audience. The preferred phrase would be that above
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I read the book as a young teen and loved it. I did see the movie eventually but it was so many years ago. When was the movie made anyway?
Very rare I get to watch old movies but they were so much better than a lot of the trash they put out now!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I actually live in the land of Tara, but I can't remember when I last watched the movie? Everything around here is named Tara. I did a project for school where I had to blog about something architecturally historical. I went to a place that had props used in the movie. Pretty cool!

I haven't seen a movie in ages I should probably set some time aside to watch it. I do know that my mom watched it when (I think) it was new - she was 9 mos. pregnant with me and it was how many hours?

CO - GREAT idea to have the Duckpond!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

According to IMDb, it was made in 1939.

Gone with the Wind (1939) - IMDb