Courage To Change 01/27/2014

Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 01/27/2014

I knew I was in trouble: I was ready to throw someone I loved very deeply out of my life forever because he had left unwashed dishes in the sink. I was obviously overreacting, yet I couldn't calm down. I picked up the phone and called an l-Anon friend.
After hearing me out, she mentioned that I seemed angry about more than dirty dishes. I certainly was. To me, those dishes were evidence of a whole pattern of disrespect. She said that she too grew annoyed and played martyr when faced with the same situation again and again, but whenever she tried to mend all the problems of a relationship in a single day, she failed - it just isn't possible to do so. Instead, she tried to deal with one situation at a time.
I still don't like dirty dishes, but I don't have to interpret them as having a deeper meaning. I am learning to take things at face value. Sometimes dirty dishes are just dirty dishes.

Today's Reminder

Why do I allow myself to suffer, to blow small things out of proportion? I can break a situation down to more manageable size by taking it one day at a time.

"The whole purpose of Al-Anon is to help us iron out the rough spots in our living, and that can be done only one day at a time."

~One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

O my thank you so much. This is me to the hilt lately. I really really needed to hear this. I really appreciate your sharing these!

God Bless!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think all of the little things that make me angry, or as my AH said, Ive become "agressive" are the culmination of many things unspoken that have festered over time.

thanks for the great post
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can so relate to this. I absolutely do this/have done this with the people in my life... at home and work.

I love that you're posting these. I read them at home and then have the reminder again at work
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We just talked about this almost exact thing in one of Hammer's threads last week - this is exactly where I lose my footing - interpreting the "small" stuff to have deeper meanings relating to disrespect of some kind. I'm always amazed when RAH has such a 180 degree difference in viewpoint & it sucks the wind right out of my sails & then I am left feeling twisted & it takes me a while to untangle the emotions. I just did it yesterday - far overreacting when I should have known better.

Thanks Carlotta for taking the time to post this every day!!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this too. I especially needed it today- I blew a tiny situation with my daughter out of proportion this morning because I am resentful towards my ADH. I desperately need to take things one day at a time.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I started looking at my own behavior I started seeing how often I was doing this, it scared me. It is what I am working on harder than ever right now!

Originally Posted by unsureoffuture View Post
Thanks for this too. I especially needed it today- I blew a tiny situation with my daughter out of proportion this morning because I am resentful towards my ADH. I desperately need to take things one day at a time.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I REALLY hate these daily readings, C.

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup - love this and needed it!...damn dirty dishes are driving me nuts lately, but i will PUT THE TAZER DOWN NOW