Notices

You used to reward yourself with alcohol, what now?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You used to reward yourself with alcohol, what now?

I had a *very* busy day. I wrote up a meal plan for my boyfriend and I this week. Went to the store for the ingredients and got to work in the kitchen. I made hummus, mashed cauliflower, homemade chicken stock, a huge batch of chicken salad and coconut cupcakes with key lime whipped cream. Been cooking for about five hours straight. After finishing up I went to get the broom because there were lots of crumbs on the floor. As I swept and had an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment I thought.. "I could use a beer after that!" - Why is it that we do that? Not just you. Not just me. But every person after a particularly rough or busy day will always reward themselves with an alcoholic drink. Then again, I shouldn't say that. Many people reward themselves with exercise. I used to be one of them. After a long day there was no where else I'd rather be than at the gym.

My day isn't over. I gotta hop in the shower and then it's off to a Royal Rumble party. It's wrestling for those that don't know. There's always lots of beer at these parties. My boyfriend is bringing a six pack with him. Lots of beer and lots of bad foods. I put together our dinner to bring to our friends house to heat up so we are not tempted with the other foods. As for drink, I'm bringing my water bottle and might grab a tea bag to sip on in the evening.

Good things. Hope you're all doing well, everyone. Remember to be kind to yourself =)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wow, You've been busy, sounds yummy. There are lots of nice things to be had other than alcohol xxxx
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I envy your cooking talents. I love to eat but am the world's worst cook.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking care of your health and yourself! Stay strong tonight!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Reward themselves with and alcoholic drink". The funny thing is where is the reward? The hangover? The saying or doing stupid stuff? The beating up on the immune system and liver? The driving drunk? The lack of motivation and overall feeling of blah the next day? I can go on and on…. Keep it up Nikka!! and remember the reward is the sense of accomplishment of not drinking and feeling friggen great the next day!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This feels so weird. It's like.. you've been doing something for so long and when you stop doing it, something feels like it's missing. I used to drink before going out to a party. Gotta pregame! Even if no one else is.. heh. I've got my water bottle next to me. It's.. interesting.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agreed, I can't imagine going to a concert or game without partying up beforehand!! I guess it's just gonna take some time and then you won't even think about it. It's all new right now. Personally, I've been getting ripped so much my entire life, Im looking forward to the "change of scenery" of not drinking at some of these things. We'll see how it goes!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love to cook also and used to drink wine while I did it. It has been a huge adjustment to cook sober but I still reward myself. Just now I whip up a healthy smoothie. I make mine with greek yogurt, frozen fruit, honey, oats and some chia seeds. It is a real reward because it makes me healthier AND tastes great. It's also something I can sip on when I have that craving to hold a drink to my lips.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Much as I spent on alcohol and my legal troubles I could be typing this in a mansion.
Typically, I've been going on a really nice vacation every year.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It takes a few weeks or months to develop new habits. Keep plucking along. It gets easier!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, new habits will come along as you continue to take care of yourself. Good for you!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It does take a while to get used to not using alcohol as a reward but you soon find out how much not drinking becomes a reward in and of itself.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How do I reward myself? After all these years on this planet I'm finally learning just to be happy with what I've got and to appreciate being here.

I'm happy to be here ... I'm happy to be anywhere - Richie Havens
Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

There's a gentle and quiet reward in the moment where you first wake up, and realize, you have the whole day ahead of you.

Not puking. Shaking. Fearful.

Sometimes, that is enough.

On the days it isn't, there's walks in nature, my kitten and my puppy, quiet reflection, and my favorite body treat, massage.

Sobriety alone is it's own reward.

Just ask someone who is struggling...
Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Ah to be young again...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with Alphaomega. I am only on day 15, but each morning I wake up clear, rested, and without soul crushing anxiety about real or imagined misbehavior while in a blackout feels like a real gift.

Also, I'm taking the weekly money I'd normally have blown on alcohol, and I go out and buy myself some basics that I've been putting off getting for myself. I've had a tendency to put off self care due to it interrupting my drinking time. So, today, I went and bought myself some awesome, comfy tennis shoes. It's nice to have something to show for the money, and to be ABLE to go shopping on a Sunday vs. bring nauseous all day with a pounding headache and a terrible case of anxiety and self-loathing and fear.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I reward myself with life.

Today, I found myself a little bored, so I drove 20 miles to my favorite computer store and bought an external hard drive to start organizing my media collection.

I plan to save a good amount of money this year (easy when I'm not drinking) and trick out my computer. Nerdvana > alcohol.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I reward myself with TV. Get a snack or some club soda and just park it on the couch for awhile and veg out. I figure that's kind of what normal drinkers mean when they reward themselves with a drink? Not that the drink itself is imagined liquid gold but the hour to do nothing.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Like most, I rewarded anything I did with alcohol.

Now I don't feel I need rewarding for everything but when I get cravings I eat and drink, not alcohol, of course.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I reward myself with my favourite tv shows, yummy snacks, $$ non-alcoholic beverages, some rather luxurious beauty and hair products, I've learned to say 'no' instead of feeling obliged to say 'yes' to things I feel obligated to do, but don't want to do.