Notices

Herbal teas

Old 01-26-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Herbal teas

I've been drinking chamomile, lemongrass,valerian you name it and it helps but can u drink too much? Opinions?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
I've been drinking chamomile, lemongrass,valerian you name it and it helps but can u drink too much? Opinions?
Maybe valerian, but think the others pretty safe.

Love those herbals----no calories, fat, sodium etc; and sooo soothhing.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would think too much of anything could be detrimental.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoy drinking tea and like to try several varieties. If you are drinking medicinal teas, I might be careful as you really don't know exactly what you may be getting. Also, some teas have caffeine, sleep properties, and also tannic acid and some aluminum. Water is probably the best thing you can drink to keep your body hydrated. A few cups of tea for most people is probably safe and is touted for the antioxidants like in green tea. Check with your doctor to make sure you have no problems in ingesting any tea unless it is a simple tea and you only drink a few cups a day.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha, sorry I have to laugh Christi because I asked the same question early in my sobriety. I drank herbal tea non stop when I quit drinking! I still have a 'tea cupboard' at home and work and pretty much drink the stuff non stop. I had a cup of sleeptime tea before I left the house this afternoon. Two years later and I am still alive It's funny how health conscious we become after stopping drinking. I got concerned about how much tea and water I was drinking because it seemed excessive but it is a hell of a lot better for me that the amount of beer I was putting away. I say don't worry about it
Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try mixing nettles with peppermint or spearmint--I make a blend with that and a little chamomile and it is fantastic.
Very healthy and absolutely delicious hot or over ice

I get organic herbs in bulk from Amazon very cheaply and mix away--
I have a reference book of blends and their benefits I also got from Amazon.

It has helped me get a new "drink" in my hand that helps instead of harms
Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Valerian potentially, but I think you'd have to be drinking a ton of the tea in order to get negative effects from it. In pill form, however, some people report mild rebound anxiety after taking it.

The others are pretty safe. Personally am a huge fan of chamomile , definitely sets me up for a good kip!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never drank herbal tea until I stopped drinking. In fact, I thought it was pretty wimpy.

Now I drink about six cups a day. I mix it up a bit and haven't noticed any obvious side effects.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

I drink a lot of tea's too (Especially herbal blends). I would say be careful with anything that has Kava Kava, or Valerian root in them, as they are both herbal sedatives.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Nettle, Jasmine, Green Tea and Blended Teas from Twinning's or similar have been proven to offer detoxification properties as well as relieve stress and anxiety. I am sure there is a upper limit, but I don't think the Emergency Rooms and Casualty Departments are full of Tea drinkers who have one too many.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

I've got morning teas, evening teas. Teas to help me sleep. Teas to help me wake up.

Even made some home-made tea from the Passiflora vines growing outside.

I have not had one hangover from any of them and never worry about getting pulled over with a drink in my hand.

I have also never heard of any persons life or health being destroyed by tea. Just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love herbal tea! Valerian Root is a little too strong for me. It's sedative.
Chamomile is my favorite & my doctor recommends it for anxiety. Don't know if it's harmful to have "too much of a good thing"
English Breakfast tea is also good.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never had a problem with Valarian tea but I started taking those pills last year. Those pills started off well and then started giving me horrible vivid nightmares. So, fyi, if you start getting those, may be switch off that one. Otherwise, I love lavender-chamomile tea. There's one I found for high blood pressure. If it works or not, I don't know, but I feel good drinking it. Oh, and ginger tea!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All good responses and I feel better, I've been so paranoid since quitting. I usually drink chamomile pretty much throughout the day and then at night I'll use celestial tea tension tamer which FYI guys is effin awesome! Two cups and you're off!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went through the paranoid thing too. After decades of mostly beer drinking when I started to feel better I thought something must be wrong.

Chamomile is one of my favorites. Never tried the tension tamer. I'll get some next time I go shopping.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Where do you get the tension tamer, or who makes it ? Great info. Better than eating my cookies all day.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's Celestial Seasonings. I just looked it up. Available at most supermarkets and health food stores. Has ginger and B-6 and B-12 and many of my favorite tea ingredients.

Cookies go great with tea too.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

..................and scones and crumpets, lol.

In warmer weather I like to make a hot tea, and then pour it over ice with a teeny bit of raw honey and maybe a leaf of basil, lemograss or mint. Nice refresher.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Chamomile is supposed to be good for helping your brain recover.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
celestial tea tension tamer which FYI guys is effin awesome! Two cups and you're off!
I'll second the tension tamer tea. I didn't like the taste of it at first but I gave it another go when I was feeling particularly anxious and was surprised to discover it actually works!