Notices

Advice Needed

Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Advice Needed

This time 'round I'm 24 days sober. On the previous two occasions the first four days where hellish.

This time I smoked weed and it was almost too easy. Since then I been smoking when I can get it - it fills that void.

Am I setting myself up for a new addiction?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. In my opinion YES. Over the years I've seen too many people slip back to drinking harder then when they got sober.

BE WELL
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I would try to lay off it personally. xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluncain View Post
it fills that void...Am I setting myself up for a new addiction?
I think you know the answer here....

A close family member who decided to do AA after a DUI, quit drinking. He then starting smoking weed to "fill the void". Pretty soon, he was leaving his kid in my house so he could sneak out to the car real quick to smoke. He smoked all day long, all night long.

He eventually realized that he wasn't driving down sober lane anymore. He had just switched cars.

He's been clean and sober for over two years now. He is the best version of himself that I have ever known. It's been an amazing transformation and one I hold onto in the face of my own addiction.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes. I'd actually wager you are past "setting yourself up"
And already addicted if you can't control it or make it through the day without it.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As an addict that switched for years, I did not have the ability to cope, so I used drugs, food, anger, alcohol. Wishing you total freedom!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm only seven days sober and have been debating the same question. I'm not a big pot smoker (2-3x per year), but thinking I would like to occasionally have a toke. However, the problem as I see it as I need to get myself comfortable being sober. Which shouldn't be that hard since the alternative really sucks!!
I'm just think that smoking will derail, or at the very least slow down the progress of "relearning" to enjoy full sobriety.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Seems like you're just replacing one addiction for another. I'd reconsider.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think we all have issues with cross addiction. I decided not to use any other drugs because I know what I'm like and I have seen so many friends switch drugs and somehow think they're fixed... (one particular friend kept going on about how he used to drink too much but he just stopped... I didn't point out the hypocrisy of his daily weed smoking and amphetamine use...). Personally I ended up with an overeating problem and a compulsive shopping problem... I think I fixed the food one but the shopping one still gets me. It is the lesser of the two evils and isn't too excessive though. We'll see what comes up if I ever get that under control... x
Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im still smoking. It helps me. Better for me than psych meds. Yes your are setting yourself up to become dependent on cannabis now. If a person can just stick with that I don't see any problem if they can afford it and stay out of trouble. Its legal in two states now and more have Medical MJ. I know people who go to AA and they still smoke. AA has this singleness of purpose. To help the suffering Alcoholic.

I just want to stop drinking. I keep failing though. soon as I run out of smoke I drink. So good luck on your journey.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marchHazel View Post
soon as I run out of smoke I drink. So good luck on your journey.
Dude, there is a massive connection right there. Have you ever thought about giving up both to see if that helps? X
Old 01-26-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bluncain (and marchhazel)

I destroyed my life as completely on weed as I did on alcohol later - the same things happened...instead of me using the drug, the drug used me...I spent all my time either smoking it, trying to get it, or obsessing about it.

I used both alcohol and pot as a means to escape, but both ended up boxing me in.

When I was high I wanted to drink and when I was drunk I wanted to get high - once you're in that loop there's no breaking that cycle until you give up both.

You guys have given up alcohol - you've come so far to be free - I know reality with no safety net is scary but there's sober support here...

why put another ball and chain around your leg?

D
Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had many years of sobriety. One day got out some pot that I had stashed for 15 years! I smoked it. eventually smoked it gone. Found a dealer. Started smoking every day. Started drinking.Started drinking and smoking every day. Ended up in the treatment center 30 days inpatient. It has not been easy, it has been hell. So my vote is NO don't smoke pot.
((((hugs))))
Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

I think so.

I think you may have passed that point - and got to "what harm could it do!!"

In the end (reluctantly) I came to the conclusion I need to avoid any intoxication and not run from every discomfort that I feel (including boredom)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Since then I been smoking when I can get it - it fills that void.

depends on what we are looking for
sobriety would not include smoking weed in most instances

to be sober is to have a (clear) mind and body

Mountainman
Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am a bad person to ask. I had zero problems giving up weed when I gave up drinking. I just didn't buy more. And I smoked all day, everyday. It helped me with my PTSD and made me more productive than I am fully sober. But honestly I haven't had a single obsessive thought about weed. It was nothing like quitting drinking.

I never used it as an "escape" though. I worked, cleaned, cooked etc. just fine. I will say that my sleep has improved tremendously since quitting though.

If you feel that you need it, you already know the answer.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marchHazel View Post
I just want to stop drinking. I keep failing though. soon as I run out of smoke I drink. So good luck on your journey.
Smoking a little pot here and there is not a problem and the legality is not what the issue is. But if you are just switching from one addiction to the other, you aren't moving forward.

Just my opinion...but what do I know? I've been sober for 7 days and I'm not a pot smoker :P