Notices

Scared beyond belief.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Can't pin this butterfly down

Scared beyond belief.

my name iS Emily, I am an addict and an alcoholic. yesterday i was caught not only with xanax in my system but also i hit a parked car and had been drinking vanilla extract. sorry to be so graphic, but i guess the only way to get real help is to be honest. I am afraid, I have a DUI, a DWI and leaving the scene on the crime. My heart has never hurt so much. i had 7 years sober onetime, but last christmas i lost it, my grandmother died, job problems etc. all the reasons we use to drink/drug. My question is is there anyone out there who has come out of something like this? it seems like when things are going the best is when i screw them up. i hate my alcoholism and my addiction to pills. please help me make sense of this through your stories. hopefully i am not the only one. I don;t want to go to jail. the waiting is killing me. Should i get a lawyer, should i not. please i need guidance and more importantly love and compassion

God Bless
Emily G
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Emily. I am really sorry to hear about what you are going through. Many of us have caused ourselves pain due to our actions while intoxicated, you are among friends and we are here to help.
I would speak to a lawyer
Take care.xx
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, I would get a lawyer and some medical help. If you have had 7 years, you can do it again. I got into all sorts of awful scrapes whilst drinking. At least nobody got hurt when you hit the car. Good luck xxxxx (((hugs)))
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Emily, welcome to the board, you've come to the right place for support. There is no judgement here, there's many who have been through exactly what you're going through right now.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I had a DTE (Driving to Endanger reduced from a DUI) in 2006. Is this your first?

It's important to remember that as stressful as the situation is right now you will get through this. In a year from now this will be behind you. What are your plans to focus on recovery?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Juniper!

I could have wrote that myself...I too am having issues. Last Monday I got my very first DUI along with excessive (criminal) speeding. Going 78 in a 40. I too do not know what to expect and I too have a fear that my jail time will be extended. All I can tell you until I go to court is your situation could have been so much worse, You didnt kill anyone..this includes yourself. In the end I have decided to view what I did as a blessing, a gift perhaps that I will use to fuel my sobriety. In the long run the consequences of my behavior will be just a blink of the eye compared to the rest of my sober life. Sorry I cant give you any legal advice, just know that I share your fear. Good luck to you. you are in a great place.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you

thank you all. I have sought legal advice. I am just feeling a lone, like i am the only one who has ever screwed it up this bad, is my husband gonna leave me etc. I just need support, and the meetings around here aren't that great
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juniperskye View Post
thank you all. I have sought legal advice. I am just feeling a lone, like i am the only one who has ever screwed it up this bad, is my husband gonna leave me etc. I just need support, and the meetings around here aren't that great
One of the first things I would do, and as soon as I get a car, I am going to be going to meetings. Mostly for myself, but also to show the courts that I am being proactive in my sobriety, something they may court order anyway. get to a meeting is the best advice I can give at this time.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

irelander, we cam=n make it through this, this too shall passband there will be joy again. I try to keep telling myself this
Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

an attorney will be essential....

but moreso; a doctor who understands addiction and getting yourself fully committed to a program of recovery.

AA has been my anchor.

I have had two DUI's and a leaving the scene which would have been a third DUI had they been able to prove I had been drinking at the time versus when they caught up with me.

I made it through those and am rebuilding my life with the help of SR, AA and a commitment to sobriety.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Emily, you are not alone. Many many are suffering the same fears you are going through. One thing that helps me is to try not to think too far ahead. One day at a time and just do the next right thing. I read page 417 in the BB 4th addition when going through an awful time. Sometimes I read it 10 times a day. And don't forget the serenity prayer. This too shall pass. It feel awful right now but it will sort out. (I'm talking to myself right now too!)
Many Hugs to you (((((hugs)))))) and prayers for strength
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Believe me you are not alone, I had several DWI arrests over the years and still didn't stop drinking until the hangovers got so bad I finally realized it just was not worth it anymore. The pain and misery far outweighed any pleasure I got from alcohol. Things will get better, you will get through your legal problems and the best way to never have it happen again is STOP. Because it will happen again if you don't. I think looking at it one day at a time is the best way, You can do anything for 24 hours. Good luck
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What's done is done, that's what I keep telling myself. I believe it in my heart. And that has led me to some peace inside my own head. I can do NOTHING about the past. But my Higher Power will help me pave the road to a wonderful future. Make this your last slip Juniper, and focus on a bright future without drugs and alcohol. We can do this!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello and a big hug Emily,

You're not alone here at SR.

You're alive, no one was hurt; except your sobriety and you can start again. Help would be a good thing medically and legally.

Today is a new day....................
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would definitely get a lawyer if I was in your situation. Also, the courts take into consideration if you are doing something to deal with your drinking problem. When I got my DWI, I ended up being hospitalized for around 5 months, for both emotional issues and for my drinking problems. I ended up with a year probation and regular meetings with a social worker to see how I was doing. I believe having a good lawyer and my willingness to seek help made all the difference. I hope everything works out for you. Stay strong.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers your way! I hope things work out with your dui.

Never had one but I can only imagine how stressful this must be for you. Remain positive and keep working on a plan to support your sobriety
Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Emily: You need a lawyer. If you cannot afford one the court will appoint one for you. I used to have the same troubles you have. Lots of us have been through what you're going through. And things have gotten better for many of us. We can help. Also find some other recovering alcoholics in your area and get support from them. See a doctor, counselor.

W.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

People have done worse. At least you're in one piece and didn't injure or kill anyone else. I should have gotten many DUIs but lucked out.I did crash a curb, ruined my car and had to walk everywhede for a month. I also rear-ended someone but he didnt want to pursue anything. You'll get through this and have more reason than ever to stay sober:-). Your life is not ruined. Hugs
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back and giving it another try.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but I wanted to welcome you back to SR Juniperskye

D
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Emily, welcome back. You sound like a person who is willing to take responsibility for your actions. But always have a lawyer, even if you intend to plead guilty.
Though it's good to take responsibility, that's no reason to receive more punishment then you are due.

Good luck, and I hope you get back on track soon. And yes you're fully able to recover from this.