Notices

Day 5 - Irritable and pissed off!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Irritable and pissed off!

Woke up this morning after a night filled with weird and slightly unpleasant dreams. It's put me in a crappy mood and the slightest little thing irritates me. I'm distracted and can't concentrate on anything. Lost my cash card this morning which didn't help. 30 seconds after losing it and turning back (on a very short walk to the atm) it was gone. Made me and my other half late for visiting family.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow- not your morning really is it I'm sure you've cancelled your card so I won't mention that.
The dreams are pretty standard price we have to pay, for abusing alcohol in the past - they will pass in time
Think of the good things - you have a partner - you have family (who I assume you get on with, or you wouldn't be visiting them on a Sunday)

Deep breaths - you can get a new card and everything else will sort itself out
Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good chance your blood sugar is low.... early days, our bodies are used to the high intake of sugars our alcohol use brought. Suddenly lacking these, our brains crave not only alcohol but the sugar. Sharp declines in sugar can leave us anxious, cranky, irritable...

try a fresh fruit smoothie in the morning and keep some candy or chocolate around. It really does help!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi James. Those sort of things still happen to me after many years of not drinking. Many call it living life on lifes terms. That doesn't mean I like it but after awhile accept it. When this sort of thing happens I try to be grateful of all the things that are going good, like I'm breathing without a respirator etc.

BE WELL
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol, sorry James, I did chuckle. I had one of those days yesterday. Woke up feeling good, but the day slowly declined to just feeling crappy, not for any given reason. I think that when we jump onboard the sobriety wagon we tend to forget that it's normal to have a bad day once and awhile. This too shall pass.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know it's not a big issue, norally this kind of thing wouldn't bother me...but, AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

FreeOwl, you could be right about the blood sugar thing.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. When I am in early sobriety, everything ticks me off. I think it is partially due to withdrawals, and my AV giving me excuses to drink. It's a tough battle, but it can be won.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the week gets better James - hang in there

D
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 6: Another weird night's sleep. I suppose this is to be expected going on what others have said. Woke up this morning feeling like I'd been drugged! Still managed to get up at a half reasonable time and had a proper breakfast of porridge - even ground some fresh cinnamon. I sold some stuff on ebay so preparing that will keep me busy...

Apologies for boring you all! Posting here has become a bit of routine the last few days.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better James - don't lose heart

D
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep posting. We all like watching sober days pile up.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Things will get better James - don't lose heart

D
Thanks Dee, I have a good feeling about this attempt.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah I walked around angry for a while. It's common, you're used to having a depress/numb nervous system - sometimes there's a rebound after your quit drinking (especially at first). Just remember it will get better - give your self some time, be patient and kind to yourself. If that means eating sweets and high sugar drinks - do it! I'm 5 months and I still lose things, sometimes forgetful, lose my train of thought - but it is better than at 1 month. You're doing great! Keep posting.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are doing great. I have daily niggles because I am a bit of an arse and very forgetful/clumsy, but soon your niggly things will become just that. xxxxxxx
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It seems to be coming on in waves. I've been fine for a few hours and now it's back...I can't sit still even though I feel worn out - weird. I'm on 1 week tomorrow though so there's no giving in to it.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety can be a 'bumpy ride' for a while. But it gets better with time. Be patient. This will pass.