Notices

Thank goodness for the dreams

Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for the dreams

Hi all, Day 36 here. I have dreams pretty regularly about drinking and it sounds like a lot of you do, too. In the dreams, I'm either considering drinking or in a few dreams (nightmares), I actually do drink. The way I feel after I do that in the dream is just a crushing sadness and disappointment. Then, when I wake up, I have lingering guilt about the dream since the sadness is so palpable to me even once I've woken up.

I am so grateful for those dreams because they give me a glimpse of how I would feel if I did have a drink. In the past, I've tried to stop drinking because I didn't want to "get caught" drinking or get in trouble somehow. But now I've reached this point where I don't drink because I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror. When I start having cravings, I imagine the next morning when I get out of bed and go to the bathroom and there's the mirror. Looming. And how I would avoid my own eyes.

My three favorite parts of the day are:
1. Waking up to another day of sobriety feeling good and free and alive.
2. Being able to look in the mirror and meet the eyes of someone I am proud of instead of someone I am ashamed of.
3. Right before I go to bed at night when I put my head on the pillow and know I've made it through another day.

Lots of rambling. Thanks for listening, friends.

Jackie
Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Those are some of my best parts of the day too!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here. Especially the dreams. Sometimes when I wake up I will almost feel dizzy like I did when I was still drunk / transitioning to hangover in the past.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
Hi all, Day 36 here. I have dreams pretty regularly about drinking and it sounds like a lot of you do, too. In the dreams, I'm either considering drinking or in a few dreams (nightmares), I actually do drink. The way I feel after I do that in the dream is just a crushing sadness and disappointment. Then, when I wake up, I have lingering guilt about the dream since the sadness is so palpable to me even once I've woken up.

I am so grateful for those dreams because they give me a glimpse of how I would feel if I did have a drink. In the past, I've tried to stop drinking because I didn't want to "get caught" drinking or get in trouble somehow. When I start having cravings, I imagine the next morning when I get out of bed and go to the bathroom and there's the mirror. Looming. And how I would avoid my own eyes.

My three favorite parts of the day are:
1. Waking up to another day of sobriety feeling good and free and alive.
2. Being able to look in the mirror and meet the eyes of someone I am proud of instead of someone I am ashamed of.
3. Right before I go to bed at night when I put my head on the pillow and know I've made it through another day.

Lots of rambling. Thanks for listening, friends.

Jackie
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Didnt hear any rambling except a thankful heart voicing gratefulness
Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going to bed and waking up sober/ not hungover/ with withdrawals really are the best times of day.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for the reminder!