Notices

It's All or Nothing!!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's All or Nothing!!

Well this is my 11th Sober Saturday, there are many threads contemplating the “boredom” of Sobriety, well I disagree, your weekends are what you make them, if your sitting in the house, dreaming of drinking, then yes you will be bored, you gotta get out there and regain the life that alcohol has taken from you, hangout with friends, go to the cinema, the theatre, but under your terms, maintaining your Sobriety.

During my 11 weekends I have attended a work Xmas night out back in December, and at least 5 Ice Hockey games, all of which I woke up on Sunday morning fresh, due to careful planning and a complete change of lifestyle, I have enjoyed myself and remained Sober, this idea of “boredom” is a myth, life is what you make it.

When you first decide to become Sober you are going to have a lot of fear, it’s inevitable, but I and others know if you get past those initial concerns, you will see a lot of those fears are false, how will I live without alcohol? My social life will suffer? How do I enjoy myself without alcohol? . . . I previously shared in a thread about childhood, back before we ever knew alcohol existing, did we ever enjoy ourselves? Of course we did, we played with our friends, used our imagination, and had a great time, so why do we think we need alcohol now to have a good time? it is yet another myth!!

But here’s the thing, we need to be either all in or all out, I have read threads recently of members announcing that they are drinking, no plan to be Sober, just admitting that they are drinking and that is the way things are. Frankly that is gonna change nothing, your either signed up to Sobriety or not, all or nothing, we’ve all tried moderation and failed, lets get serious and get dedicated to our Sobriety.

These are my thoughts after a few months Sobriety, I hope they help someone, somewhere, every day we have a new TODAY, don’t worry about next week, next month, next year, if you are sober TODAY then that is what is important, string 11 weekends worth of TODAYS together and you’ll get to where I am, all of us have it in us to do it!!

I couldn’t have done it without SR though, never underestimate the support that we all have 24/7!!

Purple
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
...you gotta get out there and regain the life that alcohol has taken from you...
TRUTH!

I wish I could "thank" your post about 10 more times.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too. I loved it Purple. I'm sure many will benefit from your insight.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks purple x
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I hope they help someone, somewhere..."

They helped me...here...tonight.

Thank you so, so much, Purple.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

amen brother, I stopped counting days as soon as I realized it is today that I don't drink that matters. I wasn't counting days I did drink. The first week or so I understand counting because it is a change, but after that it doesn't really matter. After awhile you aren't a drinker anymore, right? so why count the days... it is just hanging on to the past you are trying not to relive again.

But in the beginning of quitting, I do understand counting the days, it is an accomplishment and something a person needs to understand that they have made a change. After that move on with your new life, explore your new opportunities. Explore how you feel. Get away in your mind from what we have done up until this moment.

If I banged my head against a brick wall for 20 years every night and then stopped, after the first few days I wouldn't be counting how long it had been since I did that.... I would be living the new life.

"I havent had a headache or forehead bruises for X number of days because I stopped banging my head against a brick wall" is a good post to read. But we can't focus on X.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fabulous post! Thank you!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice post. All true
Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Always like your thoughts PK - and this one belongs on your "Best Of" list. Great post and of course congrats on these 11 sober Saturdays! Glad you're "all in", and looking forward to continuing on this road with you here at SR.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even a little "boredom" never hurt anyone.

Honestly, I've used the boredom excuse before. But I didn't drink because I was bored. I drank because I'm an alcoholic and I wanted to drink.

Great post, Purple. Thank you
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice post, Purpleknight. I feed off the energy and conviction of your posts. Makes me wanna scream, "Take the Power Back!" (I miss that band)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Purple - thanks!! Your post is so helpful!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PREACH it, Purple! I'm with you all the way Great to be on here with such great people on SR
Old 01-25-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like it purple knight. the "idea of boredom is a myth" - you're bang on right.

It's like if we're bored it's only coz WE're being boring - life is indeed "what you make it."

For me, drinking and drugging became immensely boring - it stopped working.

Take out the drink/drugs and we're still left with a hole that needs filling with good stuff.

It's up to us to fill that gap.

Well done on your 11th Saturday purple knight! you've helped me ever since my sr day 1. Thank you