Notices

Anxiety about Returning to Work

Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety about Returning to Work

Hi everyone. I have been on a medical leave for the past couple of months while attending inpatient rehab and intensive outpatient therapy. I have to return to work next week and I am feeling very anxious because nobody knows why I have been gone, except that it is for medical reasons. I can't really tell anyone because I don't trust the people I work with and fear that they might very well use this against me. I support myself and really need my job, so I don't want to say anything that could jeopardize it. I have been sober for 60 days today, and am really proud of myself for this, but I am struggling with what to say when people ask where I have been. Any suggestions???
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell them you were on medical leave and if they push say it's personal and you don't want to discuss it. And you are muchbetter now. It will all be forgotten in no time
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just state that you were on a medical leave. If they ask why, just repeat "I was on a medical leave". Repeat as often as needed til they stop asking.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I was out from work for 7 weeks. A week in the hospital, 30 days inpatient, and then some outpatient stuff.

The truth is, no one asked me anything specific. They were just glad to see me back and healthy. The only question I got was, "how are you feeling?"

As others have said, you don't need to disclose anything. But you may be surprised how others don't really care about the details. They just want to know you're ok.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't need to offer an explanation. Your co-workers will hopefully be glad to see you back and work and won't need to question you. Personally, I think you are very wise to say nothing to anyone at work about your alcoholism. Just smile, say you're glad to be back and get on with it.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the risk of sounding very cynical .......don't trust ANY of your co-workers to hold this information private. It is simply too juicy not to share. I trusted my best friend and got screwed.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think of it as a fresh start. Don't be anxious. You'll be fine. They probably won't ask as much as you think. They will probably just make sure you're okay and be glad that you're back. Have a great first day back!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 60 days waterscapes

I agree it's noones business. If anyone asks, I think something along the lines of what Mamas Goat suggested is good

D
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, I like Mama Goats answer too. x
Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Mama Goats answer is perfect you can also just say you had family issues. You don't owe anyone an explanation. People are just nosey. Or when they ask why you have been away, looked confused and then ask them "well why do you need to know that?" Then watch them fumble around for an answer now that you are putting them on the spot, smile then walk away. It is great fun .

Or just say your cat died.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, first off congrats on the 60 days. Well done.

Knowing the office culture, your return will only be met with happiness from your colleagues. A token "welcome back!" and "how are you doing?" might be as far as anyone goes. Maybe women who return from maternity leave feel a similar level of anxiety, in some form? Sure you're anxious - but after that first cup of coffee or trip to the water cooler, it will business as usual. You'll be fine.

The truth is that you were sick, and you took time away to get well, and you're feeling better. What more do you owe them as far as an explanation goes? Good luck, looking forward to hearing how it went.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your post helps me a lot. And Mama Goats advice is very sound. I would make sure not to tell anyone too much. I am currently leaving a job and I think I opened up too much and it backfired. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things!!! Yay