Notices

I am mad

Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am mad

I ran my errands and did not get alcohol but I got angry that I am an alcoholic and cannot drink. Why can't I just be a normie? Sorry but it really pisses me off right now.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try to let go of that anger. It does no good to be angry with something out of your control. To tell you the truth, after being sober four years I don't want to be a normal drinker. I'd just as soon stay sober.

Don't be mad, be glad you can't drink as it will lead you to a bad end.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is no "normal"!! . . . some people 1) can stop at 1 drink 2) don't drink at all . . . or 3) can't stop at 1 due to having an addiction.

We all fit in somewhere and we have to then figure out what the best way forward in life is as a result!!

It's great though you didn't buy any, that took a lot of strength!!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

I have the same feelings too... I would love to be a "normal drinker"... But the fact that we "alcoholics" can distiguish between feeling like we are, and normal drinking, only proves that we cannot and should not drink. So try to keep that in mind, and cheer up. It's a wonderful sober day.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Before I got educated on addiction and
it's affects on me, buying alcohol was
the highlight of my days.

After I learned about addiction and
its affects on me, I ask myself now.....

Why would I want to buy poison?

The new "normal" in todays age, is
living a sober life. That is the best
normal life for any alcoholic. Sobriety..!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sometimes I get mad about the weather. I keep hoping it will be a productive use of my time. No luck so far.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2bhappier View Post
I ran my errands and did not get alcohol but I got angry that I am an alcoholic and cannot drink. Why can't I just be a normie? Sorry but it really pisses me off right now.
Gosh, I know! Over the last six days I have flip flopped from feeling good to feeling just pissed at myself for letting it get so out of hand. I want to make red sauce in my kitchen with a glass of wine in my hands.

But I can't. I'm mad at myself and I'm mad at my spouse for letting it get here.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I was "normal" too. We just cannot drink or we will be very sick and it will hurt our lives. Stay strong hun!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Because alcoholism is a medically recognized progressive disease.

Why can't someone with a peanut allergy be a normal peanut eater?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you can shift your perspective and come to terms with the fact that you can no longer drink. Think in terms of all the things you CAN do.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel the same way and I was writing about that before. I wish I did not destroy my relationship with alcohol. I see my friends on FB mentioning they are going to have a glass of wine and watch a movie but honestly, never got the glass and then stop. I would at lest go into it for the buzz before I was going into it for the drunkenness. Then I saw friends mentioning they were checking in at a nice wine bar to have cheese. I've been sober for two weeks. I'm more stable, efficient, non-anxiety ridden, productive than I've been in years. But I still wouldn't mind having a glass of wine or two. My drink of choice was vodka. I'm not even wanting that. Just some wine to wind down with. I'm not getting it. I won't. I have to be done now.

I've lost nearly 10 pounds in two weeks, cleaned the house thoroughly and the last of my nagging stomach pains (upper right quadrant, I think we all know what that is) are gone. Not even a tiny trace of pain. I won't go back.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear you, but things could be worse. You could be an active alcoholic who's wishing, hoping, praying just to stop.

From that perspective, you're living someone else's dream right now, ya know?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you have no idea how many of those "normal" drinkers have issues with alcohol. nobody knows what is going on in that seemingly "normal" drinker's life. that's the truth.

if you don't drink, you are normal.

but i know exactly what you mean... although eventually you'll see that once you take alcohol completely out of your life you only make things better. it's one less thing you need to worry about. you won't ever have to be concerned about dui's, missed work, hangovers, liver problems, family trouble, health and appearance issues... and bunch of other issues fueled by alcohol.

alcohol is a very evil substance. and it's not you who is getting angry it's the beast.. the AV, the addiction whatever you want to call it, that tries to manipulate you, by making you angry. you know very well that the best action for you is to stay sober. your lizard brain (google it) will shut up eventually. don't feed it.

and who is to say that one of those "normal" drinkers will not be coming to this site in 2 years, with their own set of problems? (i hope they won't, i don't want anyone to suffer like i have).
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

<3

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Sometimes I get mad about the weather. I keep hoping it will be a productive use of my time. No luck so far.
I love that Nonsensical!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The problem is is that alcohol was as important to us as food is to an over eater. I'm mad to but i would rather be mad than drunk.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

You know as we all do, that you will only ever be truly happy if you are sober.
You make a choice to refuse to drink, this is what makes you normal, the ability to be able to make a rational choice and not be a slave to an addiction.

You make a real choice, when you choose not to drink. Were not messing about here, all these people on this forum and in AA meetings dont come here for the good of their health (so to speak), they come here because they have been down every single road and every experience alcohol has to offer them and they choose now to turn it down and pull up a seat next to you and call you Brother/Sister.

The battle for alcohol is in the mind, it is a slippery enemy with a major weak point in its attack on you. It requires your consent and your arm to drink, without that its powerless.

Hold the line, were right here with you, all the way.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

What is normal? Maybe we really are the normal ones as we are the ones that have to deal with our baggage and change things. Lots of people go thru life with lots of baggage they don't deal with and no incentive to change anything.

I was not all happy and chipper when I first quit. In fact, I had lots of resentment and was angry that I couldn't drink anymore. The anger is just part of the process and look at it as going thru a grieving process. I felt like I lost my best buddy when I quit and I went thru the many stages of grief.

Being angry is normal, the important thing is to learn how to acknowledge it, deal with it and then let it go.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. You may consider yourself one of the fortunate ones with the opportunity to live a productive life w/o alcohol. Think of how many don't reach that conclusion until there's no time left. So I ask you, is this unfair? Or is this the opportunity of your life?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance was hard for me too - but I found that me and my life are so much more without alcohol.
I know you'll find that too 2B

We all gave years to our drinking - give some time to your recovery too - have faith - you're making the right move

D
Old 01-25-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I will be 6 weeks tomorrow. Here is how I am filling the void. I also quit caffeine too. I buy a bunch of flavored seltzer water and fruit juices. I make myself some nice mocktails. Tall glass with ice, seltzer and a splash of cranberry is one of my favorites. I also treat myself to some chocolate or a desert I wouldn't have gotten in the past.

Mainly I am going on faith that things will get easier the more sober time I have. In addition, all the benefits of sobriety outweigh the few moments of perceived glory. I am far less depressed sober; not willing trade that.

Ultimately, I realize I have to fill the void with some be hobbies. It's up to me to make a fulfilling life and I've got to work at it to do it.

Stay strong.

TC