Notices

Day 6 and nervous

Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and nervous

Today is day 6 for me. I am really glad I've made it to day 6 but I am also very worried about the weekend. I figure I may as well just be honest about this. I have no alcohol in the house and do not plan to buy any. I don't really go out at night because I live so far away from places to do things and I get tired of driving. So, why am I nervous? Because this little voice inside my head says I did good with staying sober for 6 days and it is the weekend and I deserve to drink. I loath that voice. Does it ever go away? I am going to do my absolute best to NOT drink. I am doing one thing this weekend other than my normal routine. I am meeting some people from the AA meetings I've been going to. We're going to meet for coffee. I've been drinking a lot of coffee (but I don't really want to quit caffeine, is that bad?) and eating a lot of sugar.

Anyway, thanks to all for your continued support. I also think back to all my attempts to stop drinking and all of the times I gave in to alcohol and then beat myself up about it. I truly want to be rid of that horrible cycle. I swear it was tearing me apart mentally and physically. So, why do I get that little pesky voice saying I should drink and relax because I deserve to?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 6! I'm on 5 and going through the same thing with the weekend coming up. I keep trying to remind myself that the voice saying it's ok is exactly what makes me an alcoholic! The voice telling me because I wasn't drunk all week, I can 'reward' myself by getting drunk..... trying to remind myself that if I give in, it's not going to feel like a reward the next day, but it'll be the exact opposite and I'll lose all the hard work I put in this week. We can do it though!!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Because the pesky little voice knows that you are serious about not drinking and it doesn't want to lose. Take it as a sign that you are doing well and making the little voice more persistent because it fears your path.

I agree with you that the trying-and-failing cycle is extremely depressing and discouraging. It feeds upon itself. So, get through this weekend, break the cycle, and you will be stronger.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12 right now. Last weekend I was where you are at. I had the exact SAME thoughts. The voice was telling me that I did good all week long and that since it was the weekend it would be ok and I should reward myself for being good all week, and maybe I could just be a weekend drinker, and etc., etc., etc. Then the voice of reason joined the conversation. I knew that the first week had been torture and I was finally feeling better, so why would I put myself back at square one and put myself through that all over again? You will survive this weekend without alcohol. I promise you that. It just keeps getting better. Six days is more than great. Please don't put yourself through the "first week" all over again Day 12 feels great!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober and in time that little voice will fad into the background.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by 12mancan View Post
I keep trying to remind myself that the voice saying it's ok is exactly what makes me an alcoholic!
BOOM
Originally Posted by 12mancan View Post
The voice telling me because I wasn't drunk all week, I can 'reward' myself by getting drunk
It's funny, isn't it? What if you were painting your house and when you were finished a guy walked up and said, "Great job! As a reward, let's break all the windows!"

You'd think he was a screwball and ignore him. But when that alcoholic voice proposes something equally stupid and destructive we don't always recognize it for what it is. He's a sneaky, deceptive, cunning liar and thief. He deserves to starve.