my first Narc Anon Meeting!!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my first Narc Anon Meeting!!

Tonite is my first Narc Anon meeting; im excited, nervous, and hopeful! Does anyone have any pointers about what i can expect or should i even come with expectations? Have those of you who have gone had a positive experience?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

It's very wise that you are going to this meeting. I go to Alanon Meetings as there are no Naranon Meetings around me. I'm sure that it's probably similar. It's like coming here, only face-to-face, with others like yourself that have gone through or still are going through alot of what you are. They are others who love an addict.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just go. nothing is expected of you, required of you, or needed of you. you can just sit and be. just......listen.

I remember my very first AA meeting...I didn't go for ME, you understand, but due to my bf's drinking and the recent resultant violent behavior against me. I had called the AA hotline and the person I talked to met me at the meeting...said it was going to be ok and all I needed to do was sit. and if I felt I had to leave that was ok.

I was stunned. cuz I didn't hear about my BF or HIS issues...I heard stories that sounded like they were talking about.......me.

it was six months or so later that I went to my 2nd AA meeting...only this time I went for me. ironically enough, my BF of the time was not the ONLY person with a problem. I spewed my guts. in the introduction part! the meeting wasn't even officially started yet....I didn't understand protocol and I had all this pent up STUFF.

they let me talk. they didn't tell me I was out of order. they KNEW I was hurting and that I needed to share. after my 20 min intro, the meeting started.

just go. just let it happen.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im soo glad i went tonite!! honestly i had an AMAZINGG experience! i came with a friend and we both looked around at the empty chairs and had our doubts, but i really feel like i got out of it what i put into it. it started out as the "host" reading a lot of literature and sharing her story and then towards the end we went around sharing our background and by that time i felt completely comfortable sharing. i had a great experience and made a promise to the group that i would be back next week!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been doing alanon a while, and recently started mixing in Naranon. I found Naranon much more appropriate for my situation with my AGF, because she's fundamentally a narcotics addict who drinks, her primary problem is substance abuse addiction. I found Naranon so far to be much more targeted at the lies and manipulation addicts do and there seems to be a greater sense of urgency, due to the illegal drug use from the family members in the meetings. Seems like its more "action based".
Old 01-24-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was considering going to al-anon as well because he does drink excessively. but ive never seen his behavior with alcohol as bad as it was with cocaine. even tho it was my first meeting i felt as tho i really connected to the others in the meeting and learned about their struggles loving their addicts in and out of treatment
Old 01-24-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

has anyone told people they go to these meetings? i told my grandma because im living with her and she wanted to know where i was going. but she really didnt understand why i would want to go when im no longer living with my XABF who used cocaine, anyone else get that from friends/family?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlady14 View Post
im soo glad i went tonite!! honestly i had an AMAZINGG experience!
That's wonderful!

It's funny.....there are a lot of preconceived notions about what a Nar-Anon meeting is (and isn't). It isn't about getting our loved one clean and sober. It is about taking care of ourselves. It isn't about how to leave the addict (and I'd like to clear that rumor up.....no one is going to tell anyone that they should leave or abandon an addicted loved one.....if they do, they aren't representing the program well). It is about looking closely at ourselves and learning how to control our own actions and reactions. It is not about trying to change the addict. It is about learning how to live our own lives. It is not about trying to control the lives of others. It isn't about telling others what they should do. It is about sharing our own story and how we are able to find peace. It is about learning how not to enable, detaching with love, and how to provide healthy support for our addicted loved one. It is about finding peace within ourselves.....whether the addict continues to use......or not.

Who can go to a Nar-Anon meeting? Anyone whose life has been affected by addiction. It is a place of personal growth.

Glad that you enjoyed your first meeting!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tell everyone I go to Celebrate Recovery. In the beginning I was hesitant. You can say I am out of the closet now...LOL!

Funny thing is...people who I know have come after I have told them I go. I hope in some way being honest and open about addiction and how it has affected my life is paying it forward to someone else!

Glad it was a good experience for you!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I brought a friend who really didnt have experience with addiction she just came as a support to me and it ended up helping her and causing her to reflect on her own life