Notices

Girls night out

Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Girls night out

I will start by saying that I have avoided being in a social setting
for the past 4 years. I have been invited to a "Girls Night Out" tomorrow night. Night consists of dinner, drink of the month & a reading from a medium. The plan is to have dinner, no drinks, be the 1st to have my reading & the 1st to leave.
Husband is encouraging me to participate as he knows what a loner I've become since my drinking has become unmanageable.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No offense Sher but I'm not sure your first week of sobriety is the best time to throw yourself back into social settings where alcohol is involved.

There will be other nights out. You can work on not being a loner later when your recovery is stronger?
Why not start with coffee dates and things that don't involve alcohol?

D
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually I'm thinking I'll pass on the dinner/drinks and just go to the medium. Sounded good but knowing me....... I'd be setting myself up.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sher if this is your first week I'd suggest passing it all up and finding a pleasant alternative at home. I gave up all such social events for several months and now, at ten months, am only just easing back into them. Was it worth it? Absolutely.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sher70 View Post
I have been invited to a "Girls Night Out" tomorrow night. Night consists of dinner, drink of the month & a reading from a medium.
You don't have to be a cairvoyant to know this doesn't bode well. There are a lot of ways you can "kick off" a more social you than attending an event that could lead to drinking.

If you are done drinking, find alcohol-free activities.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ask the medium if you are going to drink tonight when you first get there. If she says yes..you have your answer and you must leave
Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Sher!
I'm just easing back into events at almost 7 months and I am really discriminating about what I attend. I really only want to do this once…and giving up certain events eased the initial pressure. I figure why make it harder than it has to be?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you should follow your heart about social situations and not let others push you into something you are not ready for.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Actually I'm thinking I'll pass on the dinner/drinks and just go to the medium.
I would have done that in reverse order
dump the medium first

hoky poky
might be some evil spirits going on

mediums here in San Diego get arrested often
for lying, cheating and stealing monies usually from the elderly

Mountainman
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sher
Instead of seeing the medium maybe think about asking yourself why after 4 years of being a loner, you decided during your first week of sobriety to get back into the social scene that involves drinking? Maybe you are stronger than you think you are and are ready for a social event. But then again, maybe you are just looking for an excuse to drink. Only you have the answer.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually this is an event that I was invited to about a month ago by some women my husband works with. I actually accepted as I wanted to meet some different people. They do an event every month and each month they choose an activity. This is not a last minute decision, the last minute part was deciding to for go the dinner/drinks part.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Actually this is an event that I was invited to about a month ago by some women my husband works with. I actually accepted as I wanted to meet some different people. They do an event every month and each month they choose an activity. This is not a last minute decision, the last minute part was deciding to for go the dinner/drinks part.
Not sure how that changes anyone's reply. You accepted when you were still drinking. Now you aren't drinking. You are allowed to declined.

You are going to do what you are going to do. If you are going, have an exit strategy you can implement before you drink.

Good luck.