Feeling bombarded

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling bombarded

Is it just me or do any of you feel like no matter what you do alcohol irresponsibility is a constant lately no matter what or where you turn? Maybe I am just overly sensitive right now because of my situation, but I feel like I cannot escape it. I turn on the TV and everyone is talking about drinking, or actually drinking. The TV shows last night were full of it as I am sitting there with my AH who is currently trying not to drink. I turn on the morning shows and there's a story on Beiber being arrested for drag racing and DUI plus drugs, I feel like they are glamorizing it. Making it seem like "it's OK EVERBODY is doing it." Then there's Kathy Lee and Hoda with their MORNING glass of wine. SO, I turn off the TV. Then I turn on the radio and one of the DJ's is talking about how her book club is really more about being the WINE club with the ladies. I don't get it. What is the deal, why is drinking so amazing these days that it has to be THE focal point in everything? I'm so sick of it being a topic or THE topic of mainstream media! Is our society really that immature that 40 and 50 year olds have to resort to trying to stay young by promoting irresponsibility and misuse of substances? That's suddenly the way to stay young and cool by talking about how much you drink and can party? What ever happened to growing up and getting beyond the age of 20 something? I've even seen Betty White promoting alcohol abuse- it's just not funny coming from a 90 year old, someone we are supposed to respect because of their knowledge and experience. Maybe it's just me today, but I just want to tell all these outside sources to grow the HECK up!! I swear I don't recall it being promoted at every turn and glamorized the way it is/has been for the last several years in the supposed "adult" set. It's everywhere and it's really disgusting to me today. I guess I will need to isolate myself and live in silence somewhere under a rock to get away from it and get it out of mind...gads! (Even the older fiction book I'm reading, The Shining- the father is an alcoholic! Go figure!) Sorry for venting, I'm just frustrated and need a break from it I think.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know, there's nothing that sucks the fun out of casual drinking like being traumatized in an alcoholic relationship.

Yeah, since I started this journey I see it everywhere. I live near a big university so it's everywhere and of course it's all over TV and pop culture. Instead of measuring disease by the presence of the alcohol, I try to look at people's behavior regardless of the alcohol. Kathy and Hoda seem to be doing all right. The Biebs, not so much (it's sad to see another celebrity kid implode, yeah?). I watch reality TV a lot and see how people are changed by their drug and alcohol use on air. It's all very instructive. The world is my SR!

I actually just re-read The Shining. Stephen King was famously an alcoholic, who has been in recovery for a long time at this point, and this book was partially about his own descent into the disease and the dark places it took him. He has spoken openly about his alcoholism and about how destructive it was for his family and how he had to work to make it right. I like the guy.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely! It is everywhere. Addiction to both drugs and alcohol are rampant. It is awful. My little 8y.o. daughter likes country music. We were listening w/her the other day and my husband turned it off. I asked why. He said that because every single song for the past 7 songs have been about drinking and cheating. That coming from an alcoholic lol!

I get it...I feel bombarded with it too!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree. Our health club recently sent out an email about a wine tasting thing that they're hosting. From time to time they do tequila or scotch tastings and sales too at wholesale prices. *MY* first reaction is "oh, fun!" But at what expense would this fun be had. I'm not so bombarded with it in media but its in practically every social setting even at some play dates at certain mom's houses.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've noticed it too, especially right before Christmas. So many alcohol commercials! Can't anyone have fun anymore without drinking?

RAH and I used to drink together when we first met, before I realized the depth of his problem. I have no desire to drunk anymore.

Maybe we're just overly sensitive to it?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I'm sensitized to it now. I remember not even thinking about it. I used to love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and now I get nauseous just seeing it because it's so focused on drinking, problem drinking at that. It's no longer comedy to me - just a painful reminder that what is sensationalized on the show is normal for my girlfriend.

One thing you made me think of is when I was at lunch with my parents recently during the holidays. The restaurant had one of those standup placards advertising their brunch, and at the top was "bottomless mimosas and bloody mary's till noon!" Having experienced what I have now, that was just so...disturbing.

And another thing. I live in a big city. There are ciroc LCD billboards at bus stops, bailey's ads, etc. And the gratuitous 'drink responsibly' at the bottom. I never thought about any of this stuff before.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol is everywhere. What is alarming is that alcoholics are everywhere. I had no idea in my past just how many there are.
I understand your tension over it. The thing is, when we start obsessing (don't read the news if you want to avoid bad news!) then we have to step away and find our sources of happiness again.
I think this is what you are really saying...you are focusing on the negatives, like alcohol and it is taking away your joy.
Go back to focusing on the things that bring you joy.

Maybe I am just overly sensitive right now because of my situation" Yes.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with you, Florence. When I see these commercials with happy, happy people in the kitchen together, making food and drinking ....... whatever, I think: "who the heck does that?" LOL

As my life is right now, there is no happy in drinking. Maybe for my A , for a bit, but not my life. I have a terrible, ugly perspective when it comes to drinking.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too have a big issue w/drinking. I have never been a big drinker but now I avoid it because I just hate it like drugs. A book club I would like to attend meets at a winery and I refuse to go because it is there. Maybe silly on my part but it is what it is. If alcohol were a physical something I would kick it hard. Maybe I need to take up shooting beer cans!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hopeful4 - That sounds like wonderful stress relief!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree that it is everywhere. Or seems to be. I've noticed it more since I quit drinking than before. My neighborhood has lots of fund raisers for a lot of different things. To raise money for various schools, for our local art center, for medical research, for families hit with horrible medical expenses, etc., etc. all of the fund raisers involve alcohol. So I see little advertisements all over the place inviting me, the community resident, to a party with alcohol. Alcohol is raffled off at these events. Then the commercials on television. The billboards.

Maybe a normal drinker might not think about it. But then supposedly normal drinkers say things like "I need a drink" when they have had a trying day. It seems like everyone is finding it acceptable to find entertainment only in events involving alcohol. People not going to wedding receptions or feeling somehow cheated at receptions where alcohol isn't served.

When I read your post I had the thought of the Rolling Stones song and the lyrics "what a drag it is getting old" .... "running for the shelter of her mother's little helper." I think a lot of people use the alcohol as an acceptable way to escape reality and numb the pain under the guise of having fun.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Of course, the mothers little helper is Valium but same premise.