Notices

Day 5, weekend approaching

Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5, weekend approaching

Hello all,

I'm on day 5 for the first time since I've been drinking. I can't believe I've made it this far. I'm feeling pretty confident that I can get through the weekend, but I am still a little concerned. (Mainly Friday and Saturday). My beverage of choice is beer. So my question is, if I get the craving, is it okay to have NA beer? What's everyone's thought on this?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 too and I am no expert but for me I'd be very wary. I just know myself and that NA beer would lead to the real thing and I am too freaking afraid to have to start over again. But everyone is different and you may be much stronger than I am.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't like the idea. Find a substitute. There are much better tasting alternatives. Congrats on 5 days
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Have you ever had it before? That stuff gave me a splitting headache. It was like drinking a can of hangover without the buzz. NO THANKS!

Congrats on 5 days. That's AWESOME!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Beer was my DOC as well, and only beer. I drank NA beer as a substitute after I quit, but after a while i found myself drinking it with some of the same tendencies that i had when I was still drinking ( drinking fast, hiding it from others, etc.. ) so I chose to just not drink it at all. Some say it leads back to the real thing too.

I'd say look at your motivation for drinking it vs the actual beverage. There are a myriad of other things you can drink instead of NA beer that frankly taste a lot better. I'm a big fan of some of the specialty sodas you can find - Ginger ales especially.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No I've never had it before. I don't understand why I like the taste of beer so much.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would steer clear of NA beer. I've googled it before and it contains a very low percentage of alcohol. It also doesn't taste very good.

For me maintaining sobriety it was best at first to avoid people, places and things that reminded me of drinking. NA isn't a beer but if you are in a situation where you are subbing it for beer you might think "why bother" and go for the real thing. Too uncomfortably close.

There is a weekend thread that starts on Fridays to support people through the weekend. Hop on tomorrow and stick it through. You might get inspiration for a new recipe to try. Or a new activity.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reminded me too much of real beer.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

D