Notices

Having a hard time sleeping

Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Having a hard time sleeping

Rather than drink I'm listening to speaker meetings online (Posted this before). It's day 3, or sorta 2.5 considering the time.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kU&usp=sharing

4 rows down, 4th to the right. A WW2 vet that quit in 1979 (Harry). I'm tired but I find that I want to stay up just to listen to his story.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've at least found something to help you pass the time ncog - I really get a lot from other people's stories too

D
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you've at least found something to help you pass the time ncog - I really get a lot from other people's stories too

D
Some of the speakers on this site (well over 100) kinda bore me. Some people come in unprepared IMHO and it's a lot of 'uh, um, not sure what to talk about'.

This is a good one. I also posted about Chris, and I found his testimony to be FASCINATING! He talked about letting his friend die because he was too drunk to do anything about it and it KILLED me. He didn't even go to the funeral because he was too drunk. It hit me that, 'what if I did that?". I don't want to get to that point.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Still awake and the sun is coming up.

Did not drink. Just played video games (with the hope I would just tire out). Then just trolled the forums. Went on reddit and posted a bit on the AA forum there. 3 days down, very little sleep. Listened to a few speakers from the site I posted. But it's really getting to me. I kinda feel like a zombie right now. No real urge to drink. Would love sleep.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The sleep part does get better but it takes time for the body and the brain to rewire itself to the change. Cutting back on caffeine and sugar was good for me. I also picked up the habit of reading before I go to bed. I also adopted the thought that I wouldn't die from lack of sleep but I might from drinking
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I feel you. Insomnia is a real b-word.

It takes me about 6-7 nights to get back on a normal sleep cycle after a bender. The 6-7 days operating on very little sleep are miserable.

Try to get a little exercise today. Even just a little extra walking around helps.

Be well.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
The sleep part does get better but it takes time for the body and the brain to rewire itself to the change. Cutting back on caffeine and sugar was good for me. I also picked up the habit of reading before I go to bed. I also adopted the thought that I wouldn't die from lack of sleep but I might from drinking
On previous occasions where I quit (none of them were long), I did hit a period where I would sleep for 9-10 hours EASY. Could sleep 10 hours and still be tired. Obviously my body needed the rest considering that most of the 'sleep' I was getting was crappy blackout sleep that was not helping me rest.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I feel you. Insomnia is a real b-word.

It takes me about 6-7 nights to get back on a normal sleep cycle after a bender. The 6-7 days operating on very little sleep are miserable.

Try to get a little exercise today. Even just a little extra walking around helps.

Be well.
I can do a little exercise in my room, but certainly nothing outside. It snowed here, then kinda melted, then froze again. I walked to the Kroger yesterday and nearly broke my face open. Managed to catch myself with my elbow. It's so black and blue right now it looks like I got in a fight and lost.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sleep restriction sometimes helps the insomniac.

So................... soon it aughta work. lol.

Hope you'll be sleeping like a baby soon.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Still up. By my count 87 hours in a row. No Sleep. I don't work today, I'm just hoping that I pass out really hard.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you talked to a doctor at all Ncognito? Might not be a bad idea.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A doctor might be a good thing to do.

Last time I was sober, for 3 1/2 months I averaged none or a few hours at the most of sleep a night.

Don't panic. I have a cyst on my pineal gland that messes things up along with the drinking.

Most people seem to start sleeping fairly well after a week or two.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It took me a little while but I sleep well now.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I managed a few hours. Now it's 3am here and I'm back at square one. Tired but cannot sleep. I have found that if I can get through about a week my body suddenly wants an absurd amount of sleep (like 10 hours a night). Playing online games, listening to speaker meetings online. Kinda hoping I get some rest before the sun comes up.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Have you talked to a doctor at all Ncognito? Might not be a bad idea.
Yeah, not too long ago. They game me Librium, which helped the anxiety, but the schedule they put me on was like 100mg the first day, 90 the second.

Oh I slept. For HOURS. But even if I slept for 10 hours I woke up groggy like I had been drugged (which, really I was).