Notices

I have 12 days today

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have 12 days today

I posted here back in early December when I first attempted to stop drinking. Needless to say that lasted 6 days and I was right back where I started. After a couple of weeks of blackout nights and things I regret I finally had my 'aha moment' so to speak. What happened? I set my apartment on fire.

I remember bits and pieces of the night. Drinking at a bar, making out with someone and smoking weed on the sidewalk right out front. I remember puking on a street and getting in a cab. I have a very brief memory of pouring pasta into a pot of boiling water. And then I remember waking up at 5 am on my bed still clothed. I stepped out of my room to get some water and saw what I had done. Apparently I fell asleep cooking. Set the stove on fire. Luckily my roommates came home presumably 10 minutes or so after I fell asleep and were able to put my stove fire out before it spread too far. I got really lucky. If they hadn't come home I doubt I would have woken up and gotten out in time.

So. That night was my last drink. Last weekend I went away because I was worried that the temptations would just be too much. I was able to keep busy during the week, but weekends are way harder. Now we're nearing this weekend and I'm worried that I won't be able to keep this up. I'm thinking about going to a meeting maybe Friday or Saturday- still haven't been to one but I guess I need the support if I'm gonna do this.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. One thing I did notice is my skin looks amazing all the sudden. It's the little things you don't expect that stand out the most?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey knh39
Great to hear 12 days. That's great. You really got lucky with the fire, it sends chills down my spine when I think about the times I started cooking drunk food.
Week ends can be tough but you can do this. Getting a preset plan helps.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congraulations on 12 days. My skin looked better soon too and it just gets better
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your right to notice weekend might be more pressure so a meeting cant hurt.
The fire could well be a god send, just keep that memory and think where it could have led to funerals ,parents grief the whole deal. Then as you go to pick up focus on that memory.
Every thing helps get you through to the time ,that you want to be sober for the sake of being sober which happens .
Fantastic on twelve days two weeks soon then on.
John.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on twelve days sober! I hope this can be the start of a better sober life for you.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! Well done!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome! Keep it up!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great work Knh39! Well done!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a really lucky escape knh - make the most of this second change - really run with it.

Congrats on 12 days

D
Old 01-23-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very cool. Congrats. Way to go!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Well done on 12 days! Yeah, I know someone who burnt down her house and someone else who set her bed on fire. But they managed to get some sober time together, one day at a time, and now they're both long-term sober and have really turned things around. Keep it up and keep reading and posting here regularly!