Notices

Day 11

Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11

Today Is my eleventh day sober. Not really anything new to report, I'm just working hard to stay sober.

I haven't started working out yet because I have heart palpitations still. Doc says I'm good to go, so I'll probably start back at the gym tomorrow. The doctor said it is anxiety. They did tests to confirm heart is healthy. I'm on blood pressure medicine at the ripe old age of 26. This is sad to me, and makes me wonder how I screwed myself up so bad. I have an appointment on Tuesday, and I'm hoping I get cleared to stop taking the blood pressure pills.

In 11 days, I have lost 7 pounds and my blood pressure has went down 20 points. (even with cutting my blood pressure pill in half) I still have pain in my stomach/chest from the gastritis. (doctor diagnosed, not google diagnosed)

Hopefully I can move on and begin getting healthy.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Justinjust quit we have many things in common i too am on BP pills and trying to get off i am only 25. Just know that these health concerns did not arise from a week, a month a year of hard boozing it'll take time but you body will heal itself just take it easy and nourish it. I wish you luck. And congrats on 11 days!!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on a beta blocker called Lopressor. It ruins my workouts (I know this from when I was drinking) and I can't get my heart rate over 130.

But the 20 point drop started at 170 / 115. Today, it was 148 / 83. I need to get it under like 135 with medication before the doctor will even think about taking me off of them. I feel more motivated to work out when I can see my heart rate burning at peak efficiency. I guess worst case scenario I'll just have to lose more weight and hope it goes down more.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on lisonopril. It makes me weak in the gym. I have lost 14 lbs since i quit drinking and my bp has gone down from 160-170/90 to 135-148/80-86 its a long road but we can do it. That's a huge improvement in a span of 2 weeks. The rest is probably weight related. Take your time bud. I'm trying not to rush it. I'm trying to just focus on making long term positive changes and getting healthy again... That to me is the most important thing.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree. The only problem is working out is what I am using to replace alcohol. And I get pissed off because I can't really work out as well as I would like.

Maybe that extra 5 days of sobriety will get me to lose another 5 pounds or so. Funny thing is, I've been eating soooo much every day. Delicious greasy, salty, processed crap. (Yeah, this is stupid if I want my bp to go down) Starting tomorrow, I'm putting my diet in check, and starting to exercise.

We shall see how much that brings weight and bp down. Then eventually, (after I'm sure I've kicked the alcohol habit) I'd like to quit smoking.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it bud. If you need anything feel free to pm me. I feel like we are going through a lot of the same things and in a very similar situation. Good luck bud. Post tomorrow about your workout!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best luck with the health issues Justin. Everyone is different of course, and your docs advice is always number 1. For what it's worth, I have a family history of high BP, my dad and brother both have meds for it and have for years. After a few months sober mine is back down to 110/70 like clockwork with no meds at all.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's awesome. I can't wait till I start talking about sobriety in months.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Justin, I'm on day 12 myself and your story pretty much mirrors mine. I think I'm finally seeing a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I had palpitations, hot flashes, anxiety and dizziness. I went to the Dr recently for sinuses and was put on antibiotics. My bottom blood pressure (distolic?) was 10 points high and I weighed 234. After 7 days I went back to tell him I was quitting CT and how shaky/sick I felt. My blood pressure dropped 8 points and is now back in a healthy range. I also dropped to 224lbs. 10lbs in seven days! I am without a doubt feeling the best I have since I quit drinking. Your going to get well. Try to think of how good you'll feel this time next week! Congratulations on 10 full (and soon to be 11) days!!!