Notices

halfway through a year.....

Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

halfway through a year.....

So one of the things I've often wondered as I've faced my alcoholism and worked my sobriety is how many "normal" people in society today really go for long periods without drinking.

I suppose it is partially just me wrestling with wanting to not be different... but the question still seems relevant. In western societies - drinking is a highlighted social norm. In some; even a deep expectation. How many of my friends, family, associates have ever in their adult lives gone 90 days without a drink? How about a year? How many actually COULD if they tried?

Today a friend shared this story with me and I found it very interesting and relevant to us here. It seems to highlight that indeed, it IS a challenge to be a non-drinker surrounded by the expectation of drinking.

I don't really agree with the author's perspective on the US not being impacted by these dynamics - but then I live in a part of the US where the tendency toward binge-drinking is definitely on par with or surpasses that found in the UK..... regardless, I thought some of you may find this useful.

I'm halfway through an alcohol-free year. Could you do it? | Lea Emery | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking might seem to be 'normal' but in truth there are more non drinkers than drinkers, it's just that the drinkers make more noise and get noticed more.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also.... and here's a surprise; drinkers tend to hang out where other drinkers are.

So, looking around it's easy to conclude "wow!! see!!!??? EVERYONE drinks!"