Notices

Sneaky....

Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sneaky....

Started day 2 today and after a fairly easy day yesterday (easy to quit hung over) and being completely committed I found myself imagining things like 'if I just make it two weeks to the super bowl I will be strong enough to handle just two' OR even defending my last day of drinking 'it was the NFC Championship game, I deserved to have fun that day'.... all these tiny excuses keep sneaking their way into my thoughts. 'if I work out and stay healthy all week, then it won't be a big deal to go to our weekly bar night on Friday.. just for 1'.....

I don't feel like drinking right now and am not craving alcohol today and I feel great, but these damn excuses keep slipping in at random times for no reason.

Feels like this addiction of mine is trying to lay low for a while and send me some subtle messages so that when I have an opportunity, all the excuses will be pre programmed. But I'm on to you addiction....
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when you're at an AA meeting, "Slick" is out in the parking lot, doing push-ups.....

That's what my sponsor likes to say.

Moral of that story is; our AV is waiting around, plotting and planning, even when we're doing the work to keep him / her in check.

When we're NOT doing the work.... well... "Slick" don't really have to be very "Slick", does he / she?

What are your actions, plans and tools for sobriety apart from "not drinking"?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can completely relate. I am on day 3 and keep thinking ahead toward the weekend and thinking about drinking. It isn't a good thing for me to do. I am trying to stay in the moment and just remember I am not drinking today.

However, my days 1, 2, and so far 3 have been challenging! Can't wait until the craving passes. Best of luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

FreeOwl, at this point, my plan is to avoid going out. I have a two week old baby girl that is occupying most of my time and filling a lot of 'the void'. And in the months leading up to her being born I've been very successful at stopping drinking at the home all together.... the break point lately has been when I'm out, I convince myself that I'm finally 'away from responsibilities so I need to take the opportunity to cut loose'. I'm going to try to put up at least one post here a day, as a daily reminder of what my goals are. Keep focused on the big picture (being a clean, responsible and good father/husband) and take it one day at a time, make sure 'Slick' stays out there in that parking lot. Any other advice or ideas, I'm all ears... thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on that little baby girl. SR is full of support to help you stay sober for good. Come here often, especially if you feel like drinking. Post instead of drinking.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats for sure!!! Daughters are wonderful.... I have two myself. Avoidance of temptation is a good one for sure. Take care that it doesn't lead to 'isolation'. Especially in new fatherhood it's improvement to have healthy self time, and boy oh boy I can tell you from experience "Slick" can find a lot of inroads when you're overtired, feeling isolated, stressed out and suddenly avoiding all your old familiar habits.

Next thing you know you're out in the garage with a bottle of vodka.... no, wait. That was me.

But seriously, focus on your family is a great approach and avoiding temptation situations and seeking support here and maybe finding new ways to tend to your own need for Self time so that isolation and stress and tiredness don't lead you down a road that let's Slick slide in with his sneaky tricks.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks again, I'll definitely try to be very aware of some of those things 'overtired, feeling isolated and stressed' and avoid letting those things sneak up on me. Definitely glad you shared that as I was only focusing on some of the thoughts creeping in and had no awareness that the things you mentioned are other things to watch for. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sure thing... they may or may not be true for you. Just experiences I've had.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You never know! I've known for years I had a problem, but didn't actively start trying to 'moderate' my drinking until a few months ago (found out baby on the way). Since that time, when I've over done it, I really try to make myself aware of the things that might have triggered me to go beyond moderation....

The realization that moderation doesn't work for me has led me to make the decision to quite entirely, so for me, it helps to be aware of those things that I might not even know are out there.... the insight is greatly appreciated!