Notices

Day 2...

Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2...

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, as I’m not a “newcomer,” but this is the first time I’m posting as I’m going through the first few days.

I’m a guy in my late twenties, have had trouble with alcohol for pretty much as long as I’ve been drinking. Benders, binge drinking, scars, bike accidents, one illustrious occasion on which I pissed my pants while walking home, and, more recently, late-morning–mid-afternoon drinking to relieve symptoms of previous night’s “fun.”

I’d say I drank about 3–6 drinks a night, either three beers or half a bottle of wine. Other nights it would be more like 15 pints of beer and half a bottle of whiskey. A few times I drank entire bottles of whiskey over the course of a day.

I’d been sober before, first for a month – which was how long I had decided I was quitting for, then for eight months – which was when I decided I was quitting, period, and then again for three months, when I didn’t decide anything, I just couldn’t take the cycle of drinking/hangover/anxiety/depression anymore. A month into that last quit I discovered this forum and posted a message.

This time around I knew I had to quit but I couldn't get my head around the "forever" part. So my plan is to stick with it until I feel good, then make that decision. I know I should never drink again, but it can be hard to want what you really want to want. I know I don't want to drink today, or tomorrow, or this month, or the next. (Even just typing that out makes me feel like a cheater: I should be wanting to quit forever!)

Yesterday was Day 1. Bad but not horrible. Not as bad as last time. I didn’t taper, quit cold turkey. Last thing I drank was half a fifth of whiskey and half a bottle of red wine.

Spent most of all of yesterday in bed. Couldn’t really sleep at night, mild sweats. No shaking.

Woke up two hours ago feeling horrible, numb, lonely, panicked, broken.

Right now I’m feeling much better, glimpses of myself shine through but I’m certainly still not 100%.

About the last thing I want is a drink, and no matter how crappy the emotions get everytime I remember that I’m quitting everything seems a little brighter.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I stopped drinking a lot and found I couldn't do it alone after a period in AA. This is a complicated dis ease we deal with and even with our egos most can't do it alone for the long run. I prefer to feel comfortable as opposed to so called "white knuckle sobriety."
For many the trick is long term sobriety as opposed to quick fixes.

BE WELL
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been to AA but this time around I'm thinking of checking it out.

The only problem is that my town is pretty small and I've seen people that have been to AA relapse and then sometimes gossip drunkenly about who was there... I've seen this happen twice and that kind of put me off the whole thing.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow today is a roller coaster. Swinging madly from anxiety to an almost manic-type happiness and elated sentimentality.

I suppose it's the reverse of the numbing effects of alcohol, but in all directions, all at once...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you are feeeling better. Sureley you don't want to back to that again? xxxxxxx
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

lots of people on day 2 (including myself) unfortunately.

your feelings mirror mine almost to the point. since we've both been there before, we know there is a way out. we need to suffer through these initial days. then somehow things start getting better and life has meaning again.

i wish you luck and a good night's sleep. we need it badly.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome quadrant

the early days are rough but there's a lot of support here - have you considered joining our Class of January support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-16.html

D
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will, thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 and it is hard. I've been going to the 2 AA meetings a week we have where I live and I've really found it to be a helpful and supportive environment, like SR is. Best to you. You can do it!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Quad why not Just take it day by day?
At the moment im taking it hour by hour.
Good luck buddy.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome quadrant.

I liked it when you said 'Glimpses of myself shine through'. Hold on to that thought - reach out for the life you can have without alcohol. It sounds like there's no telling what will happen once it's in your system. You don't need the uncertainty it brings. I hope you'll decide to keep it out of your life.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Quick update: nearing end of Day 2. Hangover has dissipated.

There was an almost perceptible, defined moment around 5 PM when sober me clicked into existence. It felt exactly like it did the second time I quit – my longest and most successful quit to date. Like someone flipped a switch. Every cell in my body and every fiber of my soul seem to be screaming "YES THIS IS MORE LIKE IT." I haven't felt this at peace since I slipped last time. This fits me like a glove.

I looked in the mirror and I recognized myself. My real self.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can post here, newcomer or not. It's a good place to start your recovery. There is so much support and wisdom here. Take advantage of it.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's good to hear quadrant. You are doing this thing.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm also Back to/in the evening of my 2nd day also. Last night was a restless sleep, I took today off work because I was so tired. Am having little bursts of anxiety but nothing too bad. Extremely bored tho but don't feel like doing anything.
Keep it up quadrant!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey quadrant,

Good luck with everything. I've read the threads above and as opposed to meetings in small towns whch might be too small, I live in a big enough city where that's quite the opposite but the commutes here suck and I'd rather head home to hang out with my family after work than head to AA.

I've found that cruising through the various blogs and forums, on a daily basis, helps a lot - as much wisdom here as one might find in any AA meeting...... taking down notes as to how people tackle things like cravings, how to deal with peer pressure, etc it all helps.