Notices

Would it be inappropriate?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would it be inappropriate?

Besides for the crushing disappointment of a life I created for myself by drinking every day for 20 years, another deciding factor for me to wake up and take control of my life was what I saw on the outside when I looked in the mirror or saw pictures of myself. Disgusting. I see it more in photos than I do in the mirror, so I took a picture of myself the day I decided I was done drinking so I would have something to look at, in my weak moments.

I have seen a lot of posts here from younger people (I'm 38). People that remind me of myself at their age. Their posts remind me of how I started out drinking and how it progressed through the years and what has resulted from it. I am terribly worried for these individuals and wonder if I could help them by posting a before picture of myself when I was their age, and then post the photo of me last week to show them where they are headed. I don't know if that is possible, or even appropriate, but I just want to help.

I wouldn't be concerned about someone I know seeing it. The odds are pretty slim on that. Even if that did happen, I'm done living in a closet hiding things anyway so it wouldn't matter. Is it possible for me to do this, and if so, would that just be too weird, or is there a better place here to post such? I think it might be helpful to some. It is VERY scary.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jayelle - what a lovely, kind gesture I don't know the answer, but nothing stopping you from adding photos to your profile page
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Your idea may be good but I'd be concerned it could very well turn around some day and bite you. I would defiantly keep it for a good remember when, for myself.

BE WELL
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Skye2. I haven't been around here long enough to figure out how everything works. I didn't realize I could post pics on my profile page. I think I might do this after I go through some old pics and get them on my computer. I think I'll work on that tonight. I've planned a busy afternoon to keep myself occupied today I just feel that if these younger people can see what it did to me, it might give them a little more motivation.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't see how it could bite me. I have nothing to hide anymore. I'll think about it some more. People post before and after pics of themselves all day long on the internet. I just want to help
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jayelle113 View Post
I don't see how it could bite me. I have nothing to hide anymore. I'll think about it some more. People post before and after pics of themselves all day long on the internet. I just want to help
I think perhaps IOAA2 was concerned that you didn't realise that all posts are available to everyone who searches (for example) via google. It's one of the reasons, that we're advised not to use our real names or any name that could connect back to us.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll put a black "bar" over my eyes for disguise lol.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jayelle…maybe post it on your profile page? I sometimes get concerned for people who are newly sober and add pictures, simply because there is a lot of honesty here. Perhaps this is because I worked in a corporate environment for so long. I think it is amazing that we have a place to come and share our "stuff", but when someone posts pics and then details parts of their lives that may be considered aberrant by society, I worry that it may hurt them in a job search, court proceedings, etc.

Maybe I am showing my age (48), but all too often I see social media being used against people. I don't believe there is anything to be ashamed about, having the courage to seek recovery should be lauded, but unfortunately society does not always see it that way.

I think helping others who struggle is one of the best ways to stay sober, so kudos to you for figuring that out so quickly!

PS: my profile pic is NOT me!
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gonna be interesting 'before and after's' with a black bar
  # 10 (permalink)  

And "Jayelle" isn't my real name. It's my initials spelled out haha!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't see how that could come back and bite you, there's a small possibility someone you may know may use these forums, but that's about it.

I'm 22 and looked an absolute state before I quit drinking. My friend once showed me a picture of myself on a night out at 3am and I looked like I was dying, he thought it was funny. People are strange.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You made me laugh….

"sobriety do's and don't " just like the fashion rags!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there Jayelle

There is an album link on your profile page as Skye suggested ;-)

I think its lovely you want to help others. Your heart is in the right place .

It's amazing how different we can look in such a short time after giving up the drink . We lose the bloatedness , our hair shines and thickens up again. Our complexion loses that grey pasty look and is replaced with a healthier glow. Our eyes sparkle again ...

It's such a win , win situation isn't it ?

Congrats on your sobriety love xxx

And your willingness to help the new younger ones . If only they knew now what we do ...sigh

We would love to save them 10 , 20 or more years of grief xx

Bless
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bahahaha
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Jayelle…maybe post it on your profile page? I sometimes get concerned for people who are newly sober and add pictures, simply because there is a lot of honesty here. Perhaps this is because I worked in a corporate environment for so long. I think it is amazing that we have a place to come and share our "stuff", but when someone posts pics and then details parts of their lives that may be considered aberrant by society, I worry that it may hurt them in a job search, court proceedings, etc.

Maybe I am showing my age (48), but all too often I see social media being used against people. I don't believe there is anything to be ashamed about, having the courage to seek recovery should be lauded, but unfortunately society does not always see it that way.

I think helping others who struggle is one of the best ways to stay sober, so kudos to you for figuring that out so quickly!

PS: my profile pic is NOT me!
How would an employer find the picture if you posted it under a different name? I'm just curious/ignorant about these things.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's not just my eyes that show the damage. Gained 75 pounds from drinking 2,000 empty calories/day. I have 3 chins, bloated bright red face, and I'm wearing old, beat up PJs in the pic which was normal, daily attire. I just looked like a complete and disgusting slob and I think everyone needs to see it.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post

ps: My profile pic is not me!
lol!!!

Wait, did you mean avatar? I didn't go to your profile to look at pics...I hope you meant avatar, cause that had me spitting coffee out my nose this morning.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Personally, I'd wait. Wait until you have a new "after" picture to add to round out the picture. The sober Jayelle. Because you are going to look a lot better.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jaynie ! Pml. Hahaha :-))))))) xx
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
How would an employer find the picture if you posted it under a different name? I'm just curious/ignorant about these things.
I think Jaynie is just saying use caution. It's likely they won't find a picture if it's posted under a different name. However, being in the corporate world for quite some time I can assure you that some employers look at all kinds of social media when evaluating an applicant. So best not to post pics on Facebook, twitter, Instagram, etc that you wouldn't want a prospective employer to see.