Al-Anon ... Finally

Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-Anon ... Finally

(To start with, I posted my update about AH in the substance abusers (drugs, I guess) section by mistake.

He has been gone just over a week. Went on a binge, tried to choke me to death, I got a restraining order, and FINALLY yesterday went to Al-Anon. And, I went again today...

I don't know crap yet about anything, but I know it wasn't what I thought. No one sat around and cried about the A in their lives. No one even went into great detail. What I did see is a bunch of people that seemed really happy. They laughed a lot and seemed at home. I didn't know them, but it was cool to watch and wonder if someday even I could be that free.

And after the meeting a nice lady started talking to me about my job, it's written on my Tervis cup, and she has a similar job, and we talked about our careers for a while, and all of a sudden I was smiling. I even laughed once, I spent the entire rest of my day (before the meeting) crying over my AH. I said to her on my way out... Thanks for talking to me, It was nice to not think about my problems for a minute, and she said call me sometime... And I think I will.

And I didn't cry the rest of the evening. Huh.... Who knew?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Allthings, HOW HORRIFYING. I am so glad you are not in that sort of danger anymore, i hope. I think just having a place where you "belong" a place where you are with others who know some variation of what you have been through is such a wonderful thing. I pray you keep your smile.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by AllThings View Post
(To start with, I posted my update about AH in the substance abusers (drugs, I guess) section by mistake.

He has been gone just over a week. Went on a binge, tried to choke me to death, I got a restraining order, and FINALLY yesterday went to Al-Anon. And, I went again today...

I don't know crap yet about anything, but I know it wasn't what I thought. No one sat around and cried about the A in their lives. No one even went into great detail. What I did see is a bunch of people that seemed really happy. They laughed a lot and seemed at home. I didn't know them, but it was cool to watch and wonder if someday even I could be that free.

And after the meeting a nice lady started talking to me about my job, it's written on my Tervis cup, and she has a similar job, and we talked about our careers for a while, and all of a sudden I was smiling. I even laughed once, I spent the entire rest of my day (before the meeting) crying over my AH. I said to her on my way out... Thanks for talking to me, It was nice to not think about my problems for a minute, and she said call me sometime... And I think I will.

And I didn't cry the rest of the evening. Huh.... Who knew?
Amen, sister.

Keep coming back, it works when you work it.