Notices

New to Sobriety

Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New to Sobriety

Hi Everyone,

I am a 22 year old female who really wants to become sober. Today is my first night, which sounds awful, but I'm here to say hi...

Anyways, both of my parents were alcoholics and the majority of people in my family are as well. I play guitar, and I do not expect to stop doing that, but that requires that I am constantly around alcohol and drinking people...

I'm glad that I am posting this on here instead of getting drunk!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Trasherina. You sure have come to the right place. Congrats on Day 1, the most essential day of all. You are going to be so glad you did this!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome. I am new again also and SR has been a good support so far. take care and yeah, it is cool how so many people just want to stop hurting from drinking or whatever and Ive been reading a lot of good suggestions and supportive words from others.

keep posting.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Trasherina - Glad you are here Great place for support you are looking for!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Thrasherina!

You'll find lots of support, advice, and perspective here. I'm a newbie, but have benefited tremendously from the many resources available on SR.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone

I realized I needed to become sober when it was pretty clear to me today that I could not function like a normal human being. I reeked of vodka and I had to continue binge drinking more just because if I didn't, my withdrawals are so bad. So, even though that pretty much everyone around knows about my alcoholism, I made the choice to admit it to my friends and family today. Right now I am currently going through withdrawals, but i chose not to drink and just go through it. I'm going to an AA meeting tomorrow night and know that the seeds have been sown, I just need to get help.

Being on this forum, is unfortunately, the only thing keeping me from not drinking right now.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Thrasher Welcome. With ya re: the music and drinking connection. Lots of good people here. Just keep checkin in. Cya around.
Wanted to add...Check out hitrecord.com. Good outlet for musicians/artists sans drinking.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott! That looks like an awesome resource!!! It's just been so hard to differentiate being a guitarist and avoiding the rock and roll lifestyle... I thought I had to get messed up to play and sooner or later I was just doing nothing but drinking all the time while holding a guitar, too drunk to play. I don't know how to balance it now, but I just have to try.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome thrasher. SR is a great place so read lots and stick around. I play too, but only at home. Lots of new cool tools available to connect and play with others online now as an option.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think avoiding the scene until I am comfortable enough to turn down a free drink would be a great idea for now.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's going to be so strange actually being a productive member of society.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Thrasherina

D
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lot of musicians here (surprise, surprise) I dabble at home, but am mostly a fan. Early on, I definitely steered clear of live shows and other dens of temptation. Eventually, it stopped being much of a temptation at all. But I have no regrets about playing it safe in the beginning.

And yes, it is strange being a productive member of society. It's actually pretty cool. Way more relaxing and enjoyable than I imagined. Should have tried it years ago, lol...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Thrasharina xxxx
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Thrasherina. I think this forum keeps many people from not drinking - it's full of very supportive people which you'll get to know over the next little bit. Good luck! What kind of music do you play?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Thrasharina:

Avoiding the music scene is a very difficult thing for me to do. It isn't something I want to give up and I LOVE live music... especially heavy metal. It's just my thing. All the people, the energy, it's great. Problem is there is always alcohol all over the place. It's been the cause of me failing to quit at least once. I go to these shows when my bands come in to town and I always seem to cave and order a beer. Then one beer turns in to 6 or more just by the end of the show. From then... well you get the picture.

Anyways, nice to meet ya
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I think avoiding the scene until I am comfortable enough to turn down a free drink would be a great idea for now.
I was a gigging musician - I really ruined my career by drinkign but I was still playing where I could - but I decided to stop gigs so I could get sober.

when I did eventually go back, it was when I knew that nothing or noone could sway me - I wanted to be sober

D
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I do acoustic and I also do metal. Garen, it sounds like that would always be a huge risk when deciding to go sober. I know that I wouldn't be able to handle it now, if ever. Bands seem to get to drink for free/cheap (to an extent).

And Dee, that's inspiring!!! Congratulations on that!!! I'm sure it probably took a while, but that has got to be worth it!!!

Anyways, I tried to go to an AA meeting today, but because of the blizzard everything seems to be pretty much shut down -_- I hope there is not some evil force keeping me from meeting other recovering alcoholics. I was pretty upset that the one day the weather would be this menacing, it was right after I decided to become sober.