Notices

mom who does not understand

Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mom who does not understand

I have never done a forum before so bare with me. My son has been an addict that I know of for the last 7 yrs. He found his father dead in his bed and since then has never been the same. He was always a troubled child and I think this just added to his inability to cope with life. I have done everything under the sun to help him with no luck. I just saw him the other day and I had not seen him for a month and could not believe what I was seeing. He weighed about 75 pounds his face was all scabbed up. My son is killing himself and I feel so helpless.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry rmucat. I can only imagine how tough that must be for you.

I'm glad you found us tho - there's a lot of support here and in our Family and Friends forums too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

Have you ever considered something like AlAnon for yourself?

D
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

If your son is of legal age and independent there's not much you can do for him, sorry to say. The addict himself has to want to get clean, we can't 'make' them want it.

We have a forum here dedicated to those whose lives are touched by addiction. Give it a look. The people there understand what you're going thru.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not a parent but I do know that I eventually picked up the phone and told my mom I needed her to take me into the ER because I had been unable to deal with the withdrawals on my own. My dad visited me every day at the hospital. It breaks my heart to remember the look on his face every time he saw me when I was out of the hospital. The helpless feeling was written all over the both of them. Point is, it finally had to be ME who reached out and really took their help. But I knew it was always on the table and had no reservations about calling when I really needed to. They didn't enable me. They were just *there*. I really feel for you, reading that was hard.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome rmucat. I'm so sorry for what you're going through, but very happy you came here for some help.

Knowing others have gone through the same thing may ease the pain a bit. I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting & reading. You are not alone.