Notices

Intro

Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intro

Hi, I have recently within last couple years desired to get sober, been drinking since teen years. Binge drink, partier through college, then social drinker like many of my friends after college. Seems like I drink less and less each year of my life, but I cant say I would never again.

Now in my 40's still drinking, usually wine with wife, or beers while watching sports, no real problems, except quartely. That's how I explain it anyways, seems like every four months or so, I get smashed, and embarrass myself. Last time was just before xmas, quit for a week, seriously considered rehab.

I obviously admit I am an alcoholic, that is why I am posting here. I know there are varying degrees of alcohlism, I guess in some ways I am functional, at least I think I am. . I don' wake up with the shakes, and had to quit drinking for two months for a medicine that was hard on my liver. I did it, it sucked, but was relatively painless. I am not trying to minimize my addiction, just maybe trying to give a sense where I am at.

I think my main obsticle to being 100% sober are social. Family mostly, they all drink to light to they should probably go to AA. Every event, and there are a lot there is booze. How do you all deal with these things with family?

I am sure I really didnt post the way, or what I really wanted, kinda feels like a job interview, where afterwards, you say to yourself "I shoulda said this, or that"

I guess, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR--you'll find a lot of support here!

There are many SR members navigating situations in which the company that they keep drinks (i.e. significant other drinks, friends drink, extended family drinks, etc.). I think it comes down to understanding why alcohol is a problem for YOU, and then, protecting your decision to quit at all costs, regardless of circumstances. Sometimes, that involves taking hiatus from various social events/activities that involve a lot of drinking. It's not always easy, but many here are doing it.

Glad you posted!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome drunk driver . You need not figure it all out at once. I too would have been considered High functioning. But, while I was functioning and drinking, I was cutting myself way short of who I actually am when Im not drinking.

I get the forever part is a tough one to swallow. On days it's too much to bear just don't think about the forever part. And then they'll be days you'd never ever want to look back on drinking.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome and congratulations on stating your concerns and facing your reality in terms of alcohol.

Start simple; with just today.

Make a pledge to yourself that today, you want to stay sober. The questions you are asking - every one of us has had to ask and gradually come to terms with, but you don't need to figure it all out at once.

Last night I went to a birthday party. Most in attendance were drinking. I brought a bottle of fancy italian blood orange juice and drank that. A couple times people offered me a beer or a wine - I just said; "no thanks, I'm good!" with a smile and nothing more was said.

If you get pushed - sometimes it's fun to just poke fun at it;

"Thanks, but right now I feel like I've had enough to drink in my life for five lifetimes, I'm sticking with water tonight!"

or

"hey listen, I'm basically too much fun for most people to handle sober, much less with booze!! hahaha, thanks I'm gonna have a coke".

or any number of lighthearted comments that don't have to 'explain' anything or proclaim you're an alcoholic or have "quit drinking" or any of the other statements that can seem to daunting to us.

Welcome.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You've made a smart choice to stop drinking. I quit over four years ago and my life is better than ever. I hope the support you find here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! It sounds like you want to quit, but view your family functions as a real obstacle. I'm almost 50 days sober. I have to anticipate and plan for any problems that may arise BEFORE I get myself into situations that may involve drinking. Sometimes that means declining to go. Sometimes it means making an early exit. But, it's ALWAYS manageable- as long as I'm doing what I need to do to put my sobriety first.

At some point, you may feel that you can be honest with your family and they might be more supportive than you think! (maybe not.) Or, you may need to avoid certain people and situations for a while- maybe some forever.

Hope this post was helpful. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think many of us have to find different kinds of social activities in recovery because doing the same things makes it very hard to stay sober.

I'm glad you posted.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. You may have to make a few changes in social situations, but you soon get used to it. Good luck xxxx
Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome DD

I drank to the point where I had no choice but to quit or die. I changed my life and like Anna said I found different kinds of social activities for a while.

Now I can go anywhere and I want to stay sober - I prefer being sober - so it's never a problem - but it took some time and effort to get there.

D
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, woke up refreshed today. Try to make it to weekend, baby steps.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome! I think many of us have to find different kinds of social activities in recovery because doing the same things makes it very hard to stay sober. I'm glad you posted.
I think that is the best advice in the world at the moment! I have been struggling to get sober and stay sober for over one year now. Had 75 days, 50 days, 49 days, etc, but I always end up relapsing when I'm with my old drinking buddies (former coworkers mostly). Gotta switch it up until I am so far into sobriety that it won't matter anymore. Thanks for reminding me of that.