Notices

I'm only 25!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm only 25!

I have struggled with alcohol for years although never admitting to myself that it was a problem in my life. I assumed that my drinking habits were "normal" for my age and constantly found excuses for them. I binge drink on the weekends to the point of constantly blacking out or making myself sick. I use alcohol as a crutch, I am shy so it becomes my way of loosening up in social situations. It also becomes a reward after I've had a stressful week and a way to cope with difficulties in my life. I constantly feel ashamed of myself after a night of drinking; alcohol has made me become something I don't like. I have a family history of alcoholism and have seen the damage it can do, yet I feel scared that I will never be able to stop. My age makes my addiction even more of a challenge because it is impossible to escape drinking. My friends are all drinkers and like to party, I honestly don't know how to entertain myself without alcohol and I can acknowledge that it's a problem.

I have managed 30 days sober once before, and it was extremely difficult to the point where I felt that I had to isolate myself from social scenes just to avoid caving. I relapsed by convincing myself that I didn't have a problem, and that I would just have one or two drinks occasionally. It quickly went back to the way it was before. Today is the first day of my new life. I no longer want to feel trapped by alcohol. I want to be healthy and happy and live life without this dangerous addiction. I am reaching out for any type of advice or experience in quitting! HELP!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Laura, Welcome to the Forum!

You've made a great decision, and will find loads of support and advice from many like minded people here trying to do exactly the same thing!!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Laura,

As I was reading your post I felt like I could have wrote everything that you said. I just turned 29 and finally stopped drinking almost 5 months ago. I have tried to stop numerous times on my own but always came back to drinking. Things that have helped me are going to therapy and trying out young peoples AA meetings, as well as read and post on SR. It has definitely been a struggle for me as well so I understand where your coming from. I had to let go of some friends, which I realized they were never truly friends just drinking buddies. That was a lot of what our friendship revolved around. Anyway just try taking one day at a time. You will get a lot of great advice and support from others here.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, laura19.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It gets worse as you get older. By 25 I was definitely in the grips of alcoholism, even though I didn't drink every day at that stage.

Stick around SR, do lots of reading, gets lots of support.

Maybe take a break from your wider social scene for a while. Catch up with a friend or two for lunch, shopping, a movie. Look around to see who isn't drinking, who doesn't drink much and stick close to them. Maybe start thinking about doing some more study or taking some classes to a) improve your life and b) give you an excuse not to drink (have to study tomorrow etc).

Make suggestions for social events that don't revolve around bars. Join a team sport. Maybe think about joining AA, SMART recovery or other IRL support group.

You can do it, and you'll feel amazing for it.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For the first few weeks I kept myself busy so as not to drink. I had to change my routine too and start new habits. A lot of my energy went into giving my dogs the best care, cause when I was drinking they didn't always get my best care.

Stick close to SR. Read and post. And if you have a desire to drink, come here and post about instead of drinking.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You have come to the right place xx
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Laura, you will find lots of support and advice here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on joining us here, Laura!

Yeller fellas are the best. He'll help keep you on the right path.

Good luck today. I'm on Day 6.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Laura, I'd give anything to go back and be as self aware as you are. At 25 I refused to admit that every time alcohol was in my system I was in danger. I kept insisting I could manage it and continued - with disastrous results - into my 50's.

Finding SR and opening up to others was the best thing I could have done. In my heart I knew it was destroying me - but I was so afraid to let go of it. I look back now and don't know what I was afraid of. Life is so much happier - filled with joy and hope. No more living in a numbed-out fog. I'm so glad you found us and are getting free.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Laura well done for recognising at such an early age that alcohol is no good for you. You have the chance of a wonderful long sober life, and there is plenty of support here to help you along the way