Notices

Day 3 mandatory situation conclusion

Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 mandatory situation conclusion

Hey SR

I posted yesterday about a event I had to go to that was going to have booze. I was 3 days sober up to this point. Defenses were up as I'm am they type that once I start I don't stop.

Anyway I folded and drank 5 beers. When I left I stopped by the store and bought more. But when I Got home I poured them all out. Went inside and played with the kids.

Today the pull is great as if I didn't get my fill.

I looks at it two ways. A failed success that I Did stop and did not get drunk. A successful failure in that I did drink and I folded like a weakling.

I now wonder if I have to start over my days of sobriety. I didn't get drunk but I did drink. More importantly why didn't I have the Kahoonas to do what I Know I needed to do.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You did well to stop when you did or it could have been a completely different story; and you can't guarentee that restraint if it happens again. The counting thing is entrirely up to you, but I beg you not to think you can control it, therefore ... etc etc. I would just carry on and avoid drinking anything like the plague, You can do it xxxx
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, any time I started drinking again, no matter if I "got drunk" or not, I'd start my sober day count over.

I hope you won't be tempted again.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Charlie, it can be difficult to start staying stopped. What you need to learn is that you must stay away from these events for a while. Keep trying!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stuff takes practice, figure out where you went wrong this time so you can make different choices next time. Opportunities to drink don't stop coming just because you want to sober up. Gotta learn how to deal with them or they'll deal with you.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unless this event was not optional to get out of, I'd consider why you put yourself in that situation with 3-days of sobriety. It's good you were able to stop at 5, but it sounds like you came very close to a bender. Learn from this experience and keep moving forward, darn few of us get it right the first time.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello no jimmy

This event was planned months ago. There was no way of getting out of it and it was planned prior to my desire to quit or I would have no showed in a heartbeat
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
There was no way of getting out of it
I've heard this before, been there, and got the t-shirt. There's no point in being too hard on you - but this party was clearly more important to you than your sobriety (which, by the way was off to a good start). The only way you can make this work is by actually giving an effort. Getting sober is hard work, and if you don't try, then it's not going to work out. Step 1 is staying away from alcohol. Do you think you can do this moving forward?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Hello no jimmy

This event was planned months ago. There was no way of getting out of it and it was planned prior to my desire to quit or I would have no showed in a heartbeat
Sorry if that came out like I was asking you to justify anything to me, not my intention. The circumstances of the event is your business, just pointing out that sometimes we tend to put ourselves in unnecessary peril.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a lot of sober years behind me and haven't had a desire to drink for years. That said I know from observing people over the years that there are certain drinking situations I would not put myself into because SOBRIETY COMES FIRST! this dis ease is powerful, cunning and insidious and will knock us out in a moment of unawareness. Just look at all the slips that are posted forgetting those not posted because of shame. After a slip there is no promise we'll be able to return to start over.
I don't sugar coat things and these are facts. We can't get anyone sober or drunk, all we can do is give our experiences and too many still will want to do it there way. So be it.

BE WELL